East Keal War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
East Keal War Memorial, North side of Main Road (A16), East Keal, Lincolnshire, PE23 4BA


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1444562.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 10:14:57.


Statutory Address:
East Keal War Memorial, North side of Main Road (A16), East Keal, Lincolnshire, PE23 4BA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
East Keal
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial. Erected in 1920 to a design by Ernest Browning, of Messrs E Browning and Sons, of Spilsby.

Reasons for Designation

East Keal War Memorial, which stands in a prominent position on the road through the village, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: a Calvary Cross on top of a tall limestone shaft, by Messrs E Browning and Sons.


The aftermath of the First World War saw an unprecedented wave of public commemoration with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. The East Keal war memorial was unveiled on Whit Sunday, the 23 May 1920. It was designed and built on donated land by Messrs E Browning and Sons of Spilsby and cost £100. Following a muffled peal from the church bells of St Helen’s the memorial was unveiled by Major HG Maddison of Spilsby. The memorial includes the names of men from the parish who died during the First World War, but some names were excluded on the request of the mens’ parents. Following the Second World War an additional inscription was added. Messrs Browning and Sons of Spilsby were responsible for a number of war memorials in east Lincolnshire, including those at East Kirkby, Fishtoft and Stickney (all listed at Grade II).


First World War memorial. Erected in 1920 to a design by Ernest Browning, of Messrs E Browning and Sons, of Spilsby. MATERIALS: carved from limestone. DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is located within a memorial garden on the northern side of the A16. It is a 4.6m high Calvary Cross of Clipsham stone. It stands on a triple-stepped octagonal base with slightly tapering square plinth. The octagonal cross shaft tapers towards the top, which is formed by a gabled ring-headed cross with the image of the crucified Christ carved on the southern face. It has an incised inscription on the southern face of the plinth with the later Second World War inscription added to the western face. On the southern face the inscription reads: IN PROUD MEMORY OF THE MEN / OF EAST KEAL WHO GAVE THEIR / LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 / [NAMES] / THE MEN WERE VERY GOOD UNTO US / AND WE NOT HURT. THEY WERE / A WALL UNTO US BOTH BY NIGHT AND DAY. Inscribed on the western face is '1939-1945' followed by further names.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 5 June 2017.


Books and journals
Credland, M, The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014), p19-20, 78
War Memorials Online, accessed 5 June 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/208273
War Memorials Register, accessed 5 June 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20335


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].