Butterwick War Memorial Obelisk

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1448490
Date first listed:
24-Aug-2017
Statutory Address:
St Andrew's churchyard, Church Road, Butterwick, Lincolnshire, PE22 0HT

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1448490.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 10:53:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Andrew's churchyard, Church Road, Butterwick, Lincolnshire, PE22 0HT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Boston (District Authority)
Parish:
Butterwick
National Grid Reference:
TF3876944911

Summary

First World War memorial obelisk, unveiled 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Butterwick War Memorial Obelisk, which stands in St Andrew's churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War. Architectural interest: * An elegant granite obelisk in the Classical style; * Degree of survival: unusually, the memorial has not been adapted for Second World War commemoration, and thus retains its original design intent.

Group value: * With the Grade-I listed Church of St Andrew.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Butterwick as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 19 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled on 9 October 1920 by Major Oswald Bissell Giles in a ceremony led by Reverend John Robert Trotter. The memorial was built by Thomas Kent, monumental masons of Boston, Lincolnshire (also responsible for the war memorials at Coningsby, Freiston, Leverton, and Skirbeck Quarter, all Grade II-listed).

Details

The memorial is located next to the churchyard path, immediately to the south of the Church of St Andrew (Grade I-listed). It stands within a square, kerbed, enclosure which is surfaced with green glass chippings. The memorial itself takes the form of an obelisk of polished red Aberdeen granite. It has a square stone base, above which there is a three-stage pedestal in granite, each step with a chamfered edge. The obelisk is in the same stone, and has a four-sided, tapering shaft with a pyramidal top.

The upper stage of the base is inscribed on the western and southern faces with incised lettering, painted in silver. The main inscription is the same on both sides, with names listed below, reading ERECTED BY THE INHABITANTS OF/ BUTTERWICK TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN FROM/ THIS VILLAGE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR (1914-1918).

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 September 2017.

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, M, The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014), 20, 61
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 25 September 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/149890

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].