Milepost, Wideopen

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1450225
Date first listed:
09-Nov-2017
Location Description:
Milepost immediately to the west of 13 West View, Wideopen, Northumberland, NE13 6EG.

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1450225.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 05:40:28.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Milepost immediately to the west of 13 West View, Wideopen, Northumberland, NE13 6EG.
District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ2398773324

Summary

Milepost, probably mid-C19, erected by the Cow-Causey & Buckton Burn Turnpike Trust.

Reasons for Designation

The milepost on the former Great North Road, Wideopen of mid-C19 date, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * Despite the loss of one of the distance plates, the milepost survives close to its original position and has a legible inscription.

Historic interest: * As testament to the continued wave of road improvement throughout the C19, following the widespread C18 development of turnpike roads.

Group value: * It forms part of a significant, extended group with 13 other listed milestone along this significant national route.

History

This is one of a series of mileposts erected in the mid-C19 on the Great North Road by the Cow-Causey & Buckton Burn Turnpike Trust. The Great North Road was the principal route between London and Edinburgh and the Cow-Causey & Buckton Burn Turnpike Trust, established in 1747, was the earliest Turnpike Trust to be established in Northumberland. The milepost is not depicted on the first edition Ordnance Survey map published in 1858, but is present on the second edition map published in 1897. On the latter its position is shown slightly to the south of its present location, to which historic mapping shows it was moved between 1961 and 1969. Since it was moved, the milestone has lost the detachable metal plate bearing the figures 8 3/4, denoting the miles from Morpeth. Thirteen similar examples of mileposts along the former Great North Road between Newcastle and Berwick-upon-Tweed have been listed at Grade II.

Details

Milepost, probably mid-C19, erected by the Cow-Causey & Buckton Burn Turnpike Trust.

The milepost is situated on the east side of what is now a B road. The cast-iron milepost has a triangular plan with an open back, and stands about 0.7m high. It is painted white with black figures. The raised legend reads: N (Newcastle) 6 / M (Morpeth); the detachable plate that formerly bore the mileage 8 ¾ is missing.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].