Haddiscoe War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1453240
Date first listed:
19-Jan-2018
Statutory Address:
St Mary's Churchyard, Junction of Church Lane and Church Hill (A143), Haddiscoe, Norfolk, NR14 6PB

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1453240.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 02:52:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Mary's Churchyard, Junction of Church Lane and Church Hill (A143), Haddiscoe, Norfolk, NR14 6PB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Haddiscoe
National Grid Reference:
TM4399396863

Summary

First World War memorial with Second World War addition.

Reasons for Designation

Haddiscoe war memorial, which is situated in St Mary’s churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* A well-executed cross pattée memorial, which also utilises a locally distinctive material in the design.

Group value:

* With the Grade I-listed Church of St Mary and the Grade II-listed Monument to William Salter.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Haddiscoe as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Like many Norfolk war memorials, the example at Haddiscoe is situated within the parish churchyard. It was presumably erected not long after the end of the First World War. It is thought that the memorial originally commemorated 20 local servicemen who died in the conflict, but three more names were added later of men who had died after the war from their injuries.

Following the Second World War, a plaque was added to the memorial with the names of six men who died in that conflict and one who died later from his injuries.

Details

First World War memorial with Second World War addition.

MATERIALS: limestone, flint tiles, bronze plaque.

DESCRIPTION: Haddiscoe war memorial is located on an area of high ground in the churchyard to the south-east of the Grade I-listed Church of St Mary and the Grade II-listed Monument to William Salter.

The memorial takes the form of a limestone cross pattée with a slightly tapering four-sided shaft, which rises from a two-stepped base. The east face of the cross-head has small, square flint tiles inserted into each arm and arranged in a circular pattern at the centre. Similar tiles are inserted in a geometric pattern down the east and west faces of the shaft. The whole stands on a stone slab foundation.

The names and inscriptions are carried on the base. The First World War dedication is to the east face of the lower step and reads, THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ HAVING DIED THEY ARE NOT DEAD. The names of 20 servicemen who died are recorded on the four faces of the upper step, with a further three names listed on the west face of the lower step. The lettering is incised.

Affixed to the north face of the bottom step is an oval-shaped, cast bronze plaque carrying the Second World War dedication, 1939/ (6 NAMES)/ & LATER FROM INJURIES/ (1 NAME)/1945.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 13 December 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/138874/
War Memorials Register, accessed 13 December 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/74153

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].