Grimston War Memorial Cross

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1455454

Date first listed: 27-Apr-2018

Statutory Address: c85m west of St John's Church, Main Street, Grimston, Leicestershire, LE14 3BZ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Grimston War Memorial Cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1455454 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 08:55:17.

Location

Statutory Address: c85m west of St John's Church, Main Street, Grimston, Leicestershire, LE14 3BZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton (District Authority)

Parish: Grimston

National Grid Reference: SK6846321861

Summary

First World War memorial cross, unveiled 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Grimston War Memorial, which stands on Main Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* an unusual Portland stone war memorial cross which, having not been adapted for Second World War commemoration, retains its original design intent.

Group value:

* with the Church of St John the Baptist (Grade II*) and other nearby structures listed at Grade II.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Grimston as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by eight members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed by the artist son of Mr Francis W Reckett (owner of the local estate). The memorial cross was one part of the scheme that also included erecting two identical brass plaques in the Parish Church and Wesleyan Church. The three memorials were dedicated during the same ceremony, led by Reverend Elgar Hicks. The cost of the whole scheme was met by public subscription. The memorial cross was unveiled on 7 April 1920 by Captain Reckitt, a nephew of Mr Francis Reckett.

Details

The war memorial stands in a memorial enclosure on the south side of Main Street, approximately 85m to the west of the Church of St John the Baptist (Grade II*-listed). Numerous Grade II-listed buildings stand in the vicinity. It comprises an approximately 2m tall Portland stone cross. The wheel-head cross with a short cross shaft stands on a pedestal. The stem of the pedestal, octagonal in section, supports a small tapering block, square on plan, from which rises the cross. The pedestal stands on a two-stepped base.

The principal dedicatory inscription on a plate attached to the front face of the central block reads GRIMSTON WAR MEMORIAL/ (8 NAMES)/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918.

Sources

Websites
Leicestershire War Memorials, accessed 9 March 2018 from http://www.leicestershirewarmemorials.co.uk/war/memorials/view/494
War Memorials Register, accessed 9 March 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/37792
Other
‘Grimston’s War Memorial: Unveiling Ceremony’, The Melton Mowbray Times, 16 April 1920, p3.

End of official listing