Holymoorside and Walton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1455541

Date first listed: 27-Apr-2018

Statutory Address: Memorial Garden, Holymoor Road, Holymoorside, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S42 7DX

Map

Ordnance survey map of Holymoorside and Walton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1455541 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 16:56:54.

Location

Statutory Address: Memorial Garden, Holymoor Road, Holymoorside, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S42 7DX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire (District Authority)

Parish: Holymoorside and Walton

National Grid Reference: SK3389969380

Summary

First World War memorial pillar, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Holymoorside and Walton War Memorial, which stands in the memorial garden, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * unusually, the memorial was designed and erected to commemorate the dead of both World Wars, rather than being a Great War memorial adapted for later commemoration.

Architectural interest:

* a simple yet poignant memorial pillar.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

Commonly, war memorials were erected in the early 1920s and augmented with additional dedications after the Second World War. The memorial at Holymoorside, however, was erected by public subscription in 1947. It is a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 10 members of the local community who died in the First World War, and six who died in the Second World War.

Details

The sandstone memorial stands at the rear of a memorial garden on the east side of Holymoor Road. It comprises a tapering orthostat of undressed stone, with rectangular panels cut into three sides to carry the inscriptions. The panels are carved to look like tablets fixed to the stone, with pin-heads included in low relief at the scalloped corners.

The principal dedicatory inscription to the front-facing panel reads IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE TWO/ WORLD WARS./ 1914 – 1918 : 1939 – 1945. The inscription on the panel on the right face of the memorial reads 1914 – 1918/ (10 NAMES), whilst that on the left reads 1939 – 1945/ (6 NAMES).

Sources

Websites
Derbyshire War Memorials, accessed 12 March 2018 from http://derbyshirewarmemorials.com/neast/691/691.html
War Memorials Online, accessed 12 March 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/166036
War Memorials Register, accessed 12 March 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/691

End of official listing