Eastleigh War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1456078
Date first listed:
03-Dec-2018
Statutory Address:
Eastleigh War Memorial, Recreation Ground, Leigh Road, Opposite Desborough Road, Eastleigh, SO50 9FF

Map

Ordnance survey map of Eastleigh War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456078 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 20:42:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
Eastleigh War Memorial, Recreation Ground, Leigh Road, Opposite Desborough Road, Eastleigh, SO50 9FF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Eastleigh (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SU4543519129

Summary

A granite and stone war memorial of 1930 with a statue of 2000 date, restored in 2018.

Reasons for Designation

Eastleigh War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * As an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of a pedestal with winged victory sculpture mounted on steps.

Historic interest: * As an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. The issue of a public memorial in Eastleigh was discussed from 1919 but it was not until 1930 that the memorial was erected following a fundraising campaign led by the Women’s Branch of the Royal British Legion. It was unveiled in a ceremony on 11 November 1930 by Major-General Sir John Capper KCB KCVO. It is shown on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1933. The memorial commemorates the local servicemen who fell in the First and Second World Wars.

In the early 1990s the bronze angel figure which surmounts the memorial was stolen. In 2000 a replica sculpture was commissioned from Jill Tweed following which the memorial was re-dedicated on 7 October 2000, and unveiled by the Admiral of the Fleet. The memorial was cleaned and restored in 2018, at which time the surrounding surfacing and landscaping was replaced and two additional plinths with names of the fallen in both Wars were erected to the rear (north).

Details

A war memorial of 1930, moved to its current location in 1969 and with a replacement winged victory sculpture of 2000.

MATERIALS: constructed of granite and stone with lead lettering. The statue and plaques are bronze.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial takes the form of a roughhewn granite pedestal, plinth and two-stepped base above two stone steps and surmounted by a bronze winged Victory figure with arms held aloft.

The front face of the plinth has painted lead lettering which reads 1914 – 1918 . 1939 – 1954/ TO OUR/ GLORIOUS DEAD. On the first step of the base is inscribed: AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN/ AND IN THE MORNING/ WE WILL REMEMBER THEM, again in lead lettering. On the second step is a bronze plaque which is inscribed: THE NAMES OF THE FALLEN ARE RECORDED IN/ ALL SAINTS CHURCH AND EASTLEIGH MUSEUM, HIGH STREET. There is a small bronze plaque set into the top of the plinth which states the ANGEL OF VICTORY/ SCULPTOR/ JILL TWEED FRBS FRSA/ 2000. The memorial has low metal railings.

It is set within landscaping* with two additional memorial plinths* of 2018. * Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that these aforementioned features are not of special architectural or historic interest.

Sources

Websites
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - John Ramsay Armstrong (1890-1971), accessed 28.11.2018 from http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=207359
UK National Inventory of War Memorials - Eastleigh, accessed 04/04/2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/40438
War Memorials Online - Eastleigh, accessed 04/04/2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/199160
Other
Hampshire Telegraph, Friday 14 November 1930, p4

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building but not coloured blue on the map, are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act. However, any works to these structures which have the potential to affect the character of the listed building as a building of special architectural or historic interest may still require Listed Building Consent (LBC) and this is a matter for the Local Planning Authority (LPA) to determine.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].