Kingsthorpe War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1456370
Date first listed:
18-May-2018
Statutory Address:
Kingsthorpe War Memorial, Harborough Road, A508 / A5095 Cock Hotel Junction, Kingsthorpe, Northampton, NN2 7AZ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Kingsthorpe War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456370 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 10:25:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
Kingsthorpe War Memorial, Harborough Road, A508 / A5095 Cock Hotel Junction, Kingsthorpe, Northampton, NN2 7AZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Northampton (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP7516262969

Summary

A First World War memorial dating from 1921, designed by Alfred Turner.

Reasons for Designation

Kingsthorpe War Memorial, designed by Alfred Turner and dating from 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* the memorial is a dignified monument, with an eloquent design and good detailing.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact on the local community of the events of the First World War; * for its association with the sculptor Alfred Turner.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest ever wave of public commemoration with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was in response to the huge impact on local communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead. This meant that the memorials provided a focus for the grief felt by local communities. One such memorial was raised at Kingsthorpe, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was designed by the sculptor Alfred Turner, who had also designed the nearby Edgar Mobbs Memorial (Grade II*, NHLE 1447457). It was unveiled on 8 May 1921, by the Mayor, Councillor W Harvey Reeves.

Alfred Turner (1874-1940) studied sculpture at the South London Technical Art School under William Silver Frith, and at the Royal Academy. He taught sculpture at the LCC Central School of Arts and Crafts and was a member of the Royal Academy and a fellow of the Royal Society of British Sculptors.

The statue of St George which stood atop the memorial was stolen in 1990, and in 2002 a project was undertaken to replace this. The replacement figure was produced by Olive Wootton.

Details

A First World War memorial dating from 1921, by Alfred Turner.

MATERIALS: Portland stone with resin statue.

DESCRIPTION: Kingsthorpe War Memorial stands on the main road to Market Harborough.

The memorial takes the form of a four stage, tapering stone pillar which stands atop a two-stepped base, and is surmounted by a resin figure representing St George. St George stands holding his sword so that it appears as a cross with a miniature crucifix of Christ in relief.

The inscriptions on the pillar were originally carved into the stone. These were later covered with bronze sheeting which carries the raised inscriptions. The front reads LEST/ WE FORGET/ THESE MEN/ WERE/ FAITHFUL/ UNTO DEATH. The other faces have the lists of the fallen on them. There is a later metal plaque on the front face below the dedication which commemorates the repair work and reinstatement of the statue.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museums, ref 14993, accessed 7 February 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/14993
War Memorials Online, ref 108862, accessed 7 February 2018 from http://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/108862
Other
Northampton Daily Echo, 9 May 1921

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].