Overstrand War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1456642

Date first listed: 04-Jun-2018

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St Martin, Cromer Road, Overstrand, Norfolk, NR27 0NT

Map

Ordnance survey map of Overstrand War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456642 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 08:35:33.

Location

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St Martin, Cromer Road, Overstrand, Norfolk, NR27 0NT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Overstrand

National Grid Reference: TG2404740749

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Overstrand War Memorial, which is situated in St Martin’s Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant slender cross executed skilfully in good quality stone.

Group value:

* with the Grade II*-listed Church of St Martin and the Grade II-listed Overstrand Hall.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Overstrand as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Overstrand, like many Norfolk war memorials, was situated within the churchyard. The memorial was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday 23 May 1920. It was unveiled by Lord Hillingdon and dedicated by the Rector, the Reverend L C Carr. The memorial commemorates 40 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and 12 men who fell in the Second World War.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: Clipsham stone.

DESCRIPTION: Overstrand War Memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Martin, Cromer Road, Overstrand, Norfolk. It is prominently situated in the south side of the churchyard, inside one of the churchyard entrances. It comprises a 5m tall Clipsham stone wheel-head cross, pierced and cusped, atop a slender octagonal shaft with moulded collar and foot, surmounting a pentagonal plinth and three-stepped base.

The inscription is carved in relief and reads TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND TO KEEP/ IN REMEMBRANCE THE/ MEN OF OVERSTRAND/ WHO GAVE THIER LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919// GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN/ THAN THIS THAT A MAN LAY/ DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.// (NAMES)// 1939 – 1945// (NAMES).

Sources

None.

End of official listing