West Willoughby War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1456889
Date first listed:
11-Jul-2018
Statutory Address:
Willoughby Road (A153), West Willoughby, Grantham, Lincolnshire, NG32 3SN

Map

Ordnance survey map of West Willoughby War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456889 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 21:49:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
Willoughby Road (A153), West Willoughby, Grantham, Lincolnshire, NG32 3SN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Ancaster
National Grid Reference:
SK9670843536

Summary

First World War memorial with later additions.

Reasons for Designation

West Willoughby War Memorial, which is situated on Willoughby Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant and well-executed calvary cross.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at West Willoughby as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It is uncertain when the war memorial was erected.

Reminiscent of the Roman Catholic shrines found on the Western Front, such as those at Neuve Chapelle and Bazentin la Petit, the war memorial at West Willoughby is in the form of a decorated crucifix. It is located near the former South Lodge entrance once leading to West Willoughby Hall. It commemorates 12 local servicemen who died during the First World War. Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the seven fallen of that conflict.

In 1978 the memorial was found to be in a poor state of repair by ex-serviceman Mr Harold Evitts of Grantham, aged 84, who had been a Japanese prisoner of war. He refurbished the memorial. In 2003 the memorial was repaired and repainted and a new oak name-plaque created by Messrs James Nettelberry of Ancaster.

Details

First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: timber calvary cross, bronze figure, brick base.

DESCRIPTION: West Willoughby War Memorial is located on Willoughby Road on a site edged by hedging.

It consists of a slim cross with a figure of Christ on its front face. Below this is an oak shield with gilt lettering. The inscription reads REMEMBER/ WITH THANKSGIVING THE/ MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN TWO WORLD/ WARS/ 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE.

The cross rises on a small brick three-stepped base.

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, Michael, The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2016)
Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 27 Feb 2017 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42948
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 Feb 2017 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/81715

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].