Haverigg War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
St Luke's Churchyard, St Luke's Road, Haverigg, Cumbria, LA18 4HB


Ordnance survey map of Haverigg War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456926 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 14:00:58.


Statutory Address:
St Luke's Churchyard, St Luke's Road, Haverigg, Cumbria, LA18 4HB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Copeland (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial,1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Haverigg War Memorial, built 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this coastal community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* it is a dignified monument executed in good quality materials, which provides an elegant and fitting tribute to the Fallen of the district from both World Wars.


Haverigg war memorial is situated within the churchyard of the Church of St Luke. It is prominently situated to the north side of the chancel, passed on two sides by the path leading to the church. It was built by Fairbairn and Hull, at a cost of £100, and was unveiled on 12 September 1920 by Colonel D J Mason of Workington. The following year, a new bell for the church was also unveiled as part of the memorial scheme. The memorial commemorates 35 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and nine men who fell in the Second World War. It was restored using private funds and re-dedicated on 24 September 2015. The concrete base was replaced by marble chippings within a limestone kerb, the memorial was cleaned and a small number of leaded letters replaced.


First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: Lancashire (Stainton) limestone; lead lettering.

DESCRIPTION: Haverigg War Memorial comprises a closed-wheel head Lancashire limestone cross, with intaglio carved HIS and strap work, on a tapering four-sided shaft, tapering plinth and single-stepped base with rough-hewn risers, surrounded by white marble chippings, inside a low square kerb. An inscription on the shaft reads: TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE/ MEN OF HAVERRIGG/ WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918. The main face of the plinth bears the names of the 35 Fallen of the First World War, while nine names from the Second World War are recorded on the sides in leaded lettering. The reverse is unadorned. The base of the memorial cross is surrounded by white marble chippings, enclosed within a low kerb


Imperial War Museum Memorial Haverigg Cross, accessed 03 May 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/65803
North West Evening Mail Restored Cumbria Village Memorial Marks Sacrifices, accessed 03 May 2018 from http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/millom/Restored-Cumbria-village-memorial-marks-sacrifices-e6489fc0-62bc-41d1-85d2-5661790860ef-ds
Traces of War War Memorial Haverigg, accessed 03 May 2018 from https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/89363/War-Memorial-Haverigg.htm
War Memorials Online Haverigg Village, accessed 03 May 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/169312/


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].