War memorial west of St Andrew's Church

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457158
Date first listed:
26-Jun-2018
Statutory Address:
War memorial west of the Church of St Andrew, Moretonhampstead, Devon, TQ13 8LL

Map

Ordnance survey map of War memorial west of St Andrew's Church
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457158.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 16:59:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
War memorial west of the Church of St Andrew, Moretonhampstead, Devon, TQ13 8LL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Moretonhampstead
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX7550886088

Summary

A First World War memorial, constructed in about 1922.

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial at the Church of St Andrew in Moretonhampstead is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the church’s community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* for its design, a well-executed stone memorial.

Group value:

* with the Grade-I listed Church of St Andrew, in whose churchyard it stands, and the associated listed chest tombs and headstones, with which it forms part of a memorial landscape.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at the Church of St Andrew in Moretonhampstead, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the congregation, and those associated with it, who lost their lives in the First World War.

The war memorial was constructed in about 1922; a meeting in September of that year, involving the rector, churchwardens and Parochial Church Council, resolved that those members of the congregation and those associated with the church who had lost their lives during the war should be commemorated by the erection of a war memorial in the form of a cross, the addition of a tablet in the church, and the repair of the belfry and bells. At that point, £740 had been raised in subscriptions towards the cost, and the need for a further £400 was anticipated.

Details

A First World War memorial, constructed in about 1922.

MATERIALS: Granite.

DESCRIPTION: The memorial takes the form of a Latin cross set on a tapering, square-section plinth, which stands on a two-stepped platform. The front face of the plinth is inscribed: A SYMBOL OF VICTORY / AND A MEMORIAL OF THE MEN / OF MORETONHAMPSTEAD / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918 / "THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE".

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register: Moretonhampstead: Cross, accessed 14 May 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/25942
War Memorials Online Database, Moretonhampstead Churchyard WMO205431, accessed 14 May 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/205431/
Other
Devon Historic Environment Record MDV122035: war memorial in St Andrew’s Churchyard, Moretonhampstead
Moretonhampstead Church War Memorial – Western Times, Friday 29 September 1922, p. 8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].