Emneth War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1457708
Date first listed:
17-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Emneth War Memorial, Emneth Cemetery, Opposite St Edmund Parish Churchyard, Church Road (South side), Emneth, PE14 8AA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Emneth War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457708 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 06:26:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
Emneth War Memorial, Emneth Cemetery, Opposite St Edmund Parish Churchyard, Church Road (South side), Emneth, PE14 8AA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Emneth
National Grid Reference:
TF4882407317

Summary

First and Second World War memorial. May 1920 with the names of the Fallen of the Second World War added after 1945.

Reasons for Designation

Emneth War Memorial, which stands in the extension to the churchyard of the church of St Edmund, Emneth, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as a simple, but well executed wheel-headed cross in granite.

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value:

* with the Grade I-listed Church of St Edmund and its associated Grade II-listed tombstones.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw an unprecedented wave of public commemoration with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Emneth, as permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. Emneth War Memorial is situated within the churchyard extension across the road from the Church of St Edmund. The memorial was unveiled on 16 May, 1920, and commemorates 27 local servicemen who fell in the First World War and 12 men who fell in the Second World War.

Details

First World War memorial. Erected in 1920.

MATERIALS: Carved from granite.

DESCRIPTION: Emneth War Memorial is located in the burial ground across the road from the Church of St Edmund, Church Road, Emneth, Norfolk. It is prominently situated in the centre of the burial ground. It comprises a polished grey granite wheel head cross on a cylindrical column with moulded collar and foot, on a tall four-sided plinth, and three-tiered square stepped base. The plinth bears the inscriptions in black painted incised lettering.

The inscription reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY OF LOVED / ONES WHO LAID DOWN THEIR / LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1919 / THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE / ERECTED BY THE PARISHIONERS / OF EMNETH MAY 16TH 1920 // (NAMES) // (NAMES) // 1939 – 1945 / (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
Information on war memorials from the Imperial War Museum database, accessed 27 July 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/68208
Information on war memorials from the War Memorials Online database, accessed 27 July 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/239458

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].