Warcop War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1457762

Date first listed: 03-Sep-2018

Statutory Address: Village Green, Junction of B6259 and Brookside, Warcop, Cumbria, CA16 6PB

Map

Ordnance survey map of Warcop War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1457762 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 08:41:00.

Location

Statutory Address: Village Green, Junction of B6259 and Brookside, Warcop, Cumbria, CA16 6PB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Warcop

National Grid Reference: NY7483215475

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Warcop War Memorial, which is situated on a triangular green at the junction of the B6259, Brookside and Castlehill Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed sandstone obelisk.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed The Fox with Barn and Garage Adjoining, and a Grade II-listed Maypole.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Warcop as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Warcop War Memorial was situated on a village green in the heart of the settlement. The memorial commemorates 53 local servicemen who served and 11 who fell in the First World War and five men who fell in the Second World War. The memorial was made by the prolific local monumental masons, Messrs Beattie and Co. of Carlisle. It cost £155 and it was unveiled in 1920 by General Sir Arthur Wynne, KCB.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920.

MATERIALS: sandstone; bronze.

DESCRIPTION: Warcop War Memorial is located on a triangular green at the junction of the B6259, Brookside and Castlehill Road, Warcop, Cumbria. It is prominently situated in the heart of Warcop. It comprises a sandstone obelisk on a moulded plinth bearing bronze inscription panels, on a two-tiered base, within a low kerbed square area with small wooden posts and chains surrounding. A laurel wreath is carved at the head of the obelisk, and a sword and rifle are carved at the base, below the inscriptions.

The inscription reads: 1914 – 18/ PARISH OF WARCOP/ LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ (NAMES)/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)// WHO DIES IF ENGLAND LIVE.

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3104
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/172889/
Warcop War Memorial, Cumbria, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://2ndww.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/warcop-war-memorial-cumbria.html

End of official listing