Little Brickhill War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
5m to the west of the Church of St Mary Magdalene, The churchyard, Woburn Road, Little Brickhill, Milton Keynes, MK17 9NA


Ordnance survey map of Little Brickhill War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458526.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Nov-2019 at 21:53:09.


Statutory Address:
5m to the west of the Church of St Mary Magdalene, The churchyard, Woburn Road, Little Brickhill, Milton Keynes, MK17 9NA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)
Little Brickhill
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, unveiled 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Little Brickhill War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a lantern cross incorporating a sculpted Calvary scene in bronze.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Mary Magdalene (Grade II*-listed) and Church Farmhouse (Grade II-listed).


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Little Brickhill as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 10 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled on 12 September 1920 by Colonel P Broome-Giles of Holne Chase, Bletchley. Following the Second World War the names of three local men who died in that conflict were added to the memorial.


The stone memorial stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary Magdalene (Grade II*-listed), outside the church’s west tower. It takes the form of a lantern cross. The single-stepped octagonal base is surmounted by an octagonal plinth with a drumhead reminiscent of the base form of Sir Reginald Blomfield’s Cross of Sacrifice. On the base a small pedestal, square on plan, is the foundation for the cross shaft. The lantern head is a rectangular block of stone with a convex top. The front face of the lantern carries a bronze plaque with a depiction of the Calvary cast in low relief. The figures of Mary and Thomas stand either side of the figure of Christ crucified.

A bronze plaque fixed to the front (west) face of the pedestal carries the inscription 1914 – 1918/ (10 NAMES). A similar plaque fixed to the south face of the pedestal reads 1939 – 1945/ (3 NAMES). The Second World War names are listed with year of death.

A dedicatory inscription carved on faces of the drumhead of the base is now (2018) largely illegible but includes the words [transcribed from face to face] LOVING ARMS EMBRACE ALIKE/ UPON THE CROSS THE LIVING AND/ OUTSPREAD […]. Originally this may have read ‘Loving arms upon the cross outspread embrace alike the living and the dead.’ The First World War names are incised around the upper part of the main section of the base.


War Memorials Online, accessed 29 April 2018 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 29 April 2018 from
North Bucks Times and County Observer, 14 September 1920


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].