Great Orton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458612
Date first listed:
06-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Giles, Great Orton, Cumbria, CA5 6NW

Map

Ordnance survey map of Great Orton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458612 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 04:12:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Giles, Great Orton, Cumbria, CA5 6NW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Orton
National Grid Reference:
NY3288154314

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Great Orton War Memorial, which is situated in St Giles Churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed granite, sandstone and bronze composite boulder memorial.

Group value:

* with the Grade II*-listed Church of St Giles, and the Grade II-listed The Old Rectory and the Grade II-listed Cross House Farm.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Great Orton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Great Orton War Memorial was situated within the churchyard. The memorial commemorates nine local servicemen who fell in the First World War. The faculty for its erection was granted in May 1920 and it was unveiled and dedicated on 30 May 1920 by the rector, the Reverend Canon W P Gillbanks, and the Bishop of Barrow in Furness. The boulder that forms the main part of the memorial was apparently found by the rector in a field at the Flatt. The surrounding shell cases and chains are mentioned in an account of the unveiling.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920.

MATERIALS: granite; sandstone; bronze.

DESCRIPTION: Great Orton War Memorial is located in the churchyard of St Giles Church, Cross House Gardens, Great Orton, Cumbria. It is prominently situated by the churchyard entrance. It comprises a granite boulder (roughly teardrop shaped) with a bronze plaque attached to its smoothed front face, with a bronze cross affixed to its tip. It is set upon a two-tiered square sandstone base of dressed stone blocks. On the first of these steps, four shell cases painted black form the corner posts for the chains surrounding the monument.

The plaque carries the inscription and names and the crest of the Border regiment. The inscription reads: 4th AUG 1914 11th NOV 1918/ (NAMES)/ “QUAE POTUÉRE”

Sources

Websites
The Royal British Legion, Carlisle and Stanwix Branch, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://branches.britishlegion.org.uk/branches/carlisle/ww1-heroes-walk-of-honour/memorial-49-great-orton-st-giles-church-yard-war-memorial
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4301
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/124965/
Other
Great Orton War Memorial, Wigton Advertiser, 5 June 1920

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].