Middleton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458635

Date first listed: 29-Aug-2018

Statutory Address: Holy Trinity Burial Ground, Back Road, Middleton, Suffolk, IP17 3NY

Map

Ordnance survey map of Middleton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458635 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 01:06:22.

Location

Statutory Address: Holy Trinity Burial Ground, Back Road, Middleton, Suffolk, IP17 3NY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)

Parish: Middleton

National Grid Reference: TM4302467733

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921.

Reasons for Designation

Middleton War Memorial, which stands in a prominent position at the centre of the burial ground, approximately 50m to the south of the Church of the Holy Trinity, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant and well-executed Sicilian marble Latin cross.

Group value:

* with the Church of the Holy Trinity (Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Middleton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was erected by Mr Fred Barber, who built war memorials in several other nearby parishes. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 17 July 1921 by Major General Sir Ronald Lane KCB, KCVO.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921.

MATERIALS: Sicilian marble.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent position at the centre of the burial ground, approximately 50m to the south of the Church of the Holy Trinity (Grade II*).

The memorial comprises a plain Latin cross with an elaborately carved foot on a substantial octagonal plinth and single-stepped square base. It is carved from Sicilian marble. On the foot of the cross is a laurel wreath enclosing the inscription 1914/ 1918.

The main inscription on the plinth reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF/ MIDDLETON/ WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR./ THEIR MEMORY/ LIVETH FOR/ EVERMORE.

The names of the fallen are carved on three other faces of the plinth.

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 26 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5532
War Memorials Online, accessed 26 July 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/117172

End of official listing