Reydon War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458647

Date first listed: 17-Sep-2018

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St Margaret of Antioch, Wangford Road, Reydon, Suffolk, IP18 6PB

Map

Ordnance survey map of Reydon War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458647 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 02:26:40.

Location

Statutory Address: Churchyard of the Church of St Margaret of Antioch, Wangford Road, Reydon, Suffolk, IP18 6PB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney (District Authority)

Parish: Reydon

National Grid Reference: TM4907478166

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Reydon War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Margaret, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed granite Latin cross.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Margaret (Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Reydon as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was erected by Messrs L J Watts Ltd (masons) and unveiled in June 1920.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Cornish granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the churchyard to the south of the Church of St Margaret (Grade II*).

The memorial comprises a Latin cross on a tapering plinth with a single-stepped base. At the centre of the cross is a relief-carved Christogram ‘IHS’. The memorial is carved from Cornish granite and stands approximately 2.6m high.

The main inscription in leaded lettering in a recessed panel on the east face of the plinth reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD, AND IN GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF THE MEN OF REYDON,/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914 – 1919./ (29 NAMES). On the step the inscription reads: THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

An additional inscription in leaded lettering on the south face of the plinth reads: 1939 – 1945/ (10 NAMES).

The names of the fallen from the Second World War include one civilian casualty.

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 27 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5051
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 July 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/117648/

End of official listing