Wenhaston War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458743
Date first listed:
12-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Wenhaston Cemetery, Junction of Church Road and Hall Road, Wenhaston, Suffolk, IP19 9EW

Map

Ordnance survey map of Wenhaston War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458743 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 17:11:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
Wenhaston Cemetery, Junction of Church Road and Hall Road, Wenhaston, Suffolk, IP19 9EW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Wenhaston with Mells Hamlet
National Grid Reference:
TM4254975433

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Wenhaston War Memorial, which stands in a prominent position on the eastern boundary of Wenhaston Cemetery, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant and well-executed Portland stone cross.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Peter (Grade I), 1–3 Church Cottages (Grade II) and 4 Church Cottages (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Wenhaston as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed by Arthur G Walker RA and unveiled on Sunday 14 November 1920 by Colonel G L Bence-Lambert CMG.

In 2015, 15 extra names were added to the memorial to commemorate men who died in the First World War but for various reasons were not already on the memorial. There are currently 37 names.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent position on the eastern boundary of the cemetery, approximately 60m south-east of the Church of St Peter (Grade I), and a short distance from 1–3 Church Cottages (Grade II) and 4 Church Cottages (Grade II).

The memorial comprises an equal-armed cross on a tapering octagonal column with an elaborately carved square plinth and three-stepped base. The memorial is carved from Portland stone and stands approximately 3.65m high.

The main inscription in incised and black-painted lettering on the east face of the plinth reads: IN/ THANKSGIVING TO GOD/ AND IN GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF THOSE/ GALLANT SAILORS/ AND SOLDIERS/ FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR./ 1914 – 1918. The names of those who gave their lives during the First World War are inscribed on the three other faces of the plinth.

An additional 15 names are inscribed on three sides on the foot of the plinth under the date: 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES).

Another inscription on the foot of the plinth reads: 1939 – 1945/ (5 NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 1 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5591
War Memorials Online, accessed 1 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/137479

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].