Thornhams War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1458771

Date first listed: 17-Sep-2018

Statutory Address: Roadside adjacent to the churchyard of the Church of St Mary Magdalene, Thornham Magna, Suffolk, IP23 8ES

Map

Ordnance survey map of Thornhams War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458771 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 02:17:23.

Location

Statutory Address: Roadside adjacent to the churchyard of the Church of St Mary Magdalene, Thornham Magna, Suffolk, IP23 8ES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Thornham Magna

National Grid Reference: TM1041671399

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Thornhams War Memorial, which stands on the roadside outside the churchyard of the Church of St Mary Magdalene in Thornham Magna, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple yet elegant example of a wheel-head cross.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Mary Magdalene, Thornham Magna (Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Thornham Magna as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the villages of Thornham Magna and Thornham Parva who lost their lives in the First World War. It was erected by Messrs J Cooley and Son of Diss, at a cost of around £60, all of which was raised by public subscription. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 14 August 1921 by Colonel Lord Henniker and dedicated by Canon C D Lawrence.

The names of two parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands on the roadside outside and adjacent to the churchyard of the Church of St Mary Magdalene in Thornham Magna.

The memorial comprises a wheel-head cross on a tapering pedestal with a single-stepped square base. It is carved from Portland stone on a cement foundation and stands approximately 3m high.

The main inscription on an inset granite plaque on the east face of the plinth reads: IN HONOURED MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ OF THE THORNHAMS/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (11 NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.

An additional inscription on a rectangular plaque attached to the south face of the base reads: 1939 – 1945/ (2 NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 27 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4862
Other
‘War Memorial Unveiled and Dedicated at Thornham’, Diss Express, Friday 19 August 1921

End of official listing