Croston War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458957
Date first listed:
06-Sep-2018
Location Description:
Junction of Highfield Road and Grape Lane, Croston, Chorley, Lancashire.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Croston War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458957 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 12:49:21.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Junction of Highfield Road and Grape Lane, Croston, Chorley, Lancashire.
County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Croston
National Grid Reference:
SD4913718460

Summary

War memorial, unveiled 1920, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Croston War Memorial, unveiled 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a wheel-cross memorial decorated with high-quality carvings.

Group value: * it forms a group with the nearby listed buildings including Rectory House and its gateway (both Grade II), and Church of St Michael and All Angels (Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Croston as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The war memorial at Croston was unveiled on Saturday 30 October 1920. Following the end of the Second World War a further dedication was added to the base.

Details

War memorial, unveiled 1920, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: granite with raised metal lettering.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial has a two-tier base surmounted by a tapering plinth. It is topped by a shaft and a wheel cross which are both decorated on the front (west face) by a carved Celtic knot design and the dates of the conflict 1914 and 1919. There is a dedication at the base of the shaft which reads: IN/ IMPERISHABLE/ MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ OF CROSTON/ WHO MADE THE/ SUPREME/ SACRIFICE/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ "THEIR NAME/ LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE". The names of the Fallen are in recessed panels on the sides of the plinth. Plaques have been added to the base to commemorate the Fallen of the Second World War including a dedication (west face) reading: GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN/ THAN THIS THAT A MAN LAY DOWN/ HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS and the names on the side returns.

Sources

Websites
1950s image of Croston War Memorial, accessed 24 July 2018 from https://www.francisfrith.com/uk/croston/croston-the-war-memorial-c1950_c474003
Croston War Memorial, accessed 24 July 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/564
Croston War Memorial, accessed 24 July 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/172552/
Unveiling of Croston War Memorial, accessed 24 July 2018 from https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000711/19201101/159/0005

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].