War Memorial Lych Gate, Church of St Andrew, Reigate

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1458973
Date first listed:
18-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Entrance to the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew, Gatton Park, Reigate, RH2 0TG

Map

Ordnance survey map of War Memorial Lych Gate, Church of St Andrew, Reigate
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1458973 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 23:23:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
Entrance to the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew, Gatton Park, Reigate, RH2 0TG

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ2752652930

Summary

First World War memorial lych gate, unveiled in 1921.

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial lych gate at the Church of St Andrew, Reigate, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of a churchyard lych gate.

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War. Group value: * with the adjacent Grade I-listed Church of St Andrew;

* located within the Grade II-registered park and garden of Lower Gatton Park.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever, with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities, and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus for the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised in the form of a lych gate at the Church of St Andrew, Reigate, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. Designed by WP Forsyth, the lych gate was unveiled in 1921.

Details

War memorial lych gate, unveiled in 1921.

MATERIALS: timber lych gate, with stone plinths and flanking walls and a slate roof.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a timber lych gate which stands on stone plinths, located on each side of the entrance. The lych gate has a steep gabled, slate roof, with oversailing eaves and sculpted bargeboards. The pegged frame consists of a principal post standing on each plinth, with upward braces to the roof plate on the north and south sides, and downward bracing to the sole plate on three sides.

There are four-centred arches over the walkway. Above there is an elaborate timber-framed superstructure, which is heavily braced, with some of the braces shaped. The dentilled collar of the north elevation has a timber cross. The exterior of the arch in the north elevation is inscribed with 1914-1918. The western side of the interior has the inscription of the names of the five individuals from the parish that lost their lives. The eastern side of the interior has the following inscription:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN THE MEMORY OF THE/ GALLANT MEN OF GATTON WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR OF 1914-1918.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online entry, accessed 27 July 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/185235/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].