Eye War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1459009
Date first listed:
12-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Corner of Broad Street and Cross Street, Eye, Suffolk, IP23 7AF

Map

Ordnance survey map of Eye War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1459009 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 03:37:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
Corner of Broad Street and Cross Street, Eye, Suffolk, IP23 7AF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Eye
National Grid Reference:
TM1450973906

Summary

War memorial. Erected, following the First World War, in 1921 by the builders Messrs G Maile and son. A further inscription was added after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Eye War Memorial, built in 1921 adjacent to Eye Town Hall, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-crafted memorial, including a Celtic cross enriched with interlaced carving set on a tapering shaft carved with a laurel wreath.

Group value:

* with the adjacent Grade II*-listed Eye Town Hall.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Eye as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was erected by the builders Messrs G Maile and son. The memorial was unveiled by Sir Courtenay Warner MP, the Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk, during a memorial service on Sunday 24 July 1921 and dedicated by the Reverend L Holt Wilson. After the Second World War, the names of those parishioners who fell during that conflict were also added to the memorial.

Details

War memorial. Erected, following the First World War, in 1921 by the builders Messrs G Maile and son. A further inscription was added after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: carved from Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is situated near to the centre of Eye, immediately north of the Town Hall. It stands approximately 5.5m high and comprises a Celtic cross enriched with interlaced carving set on a tapering shaft, plinth and three-stepped square base. The base of the shaft is carved with a laurel wreath. The front (north) face of the plinth is inscribed in incised lettering: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF/ (21 NAMES)/ WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/ AND ALSO FROM/ 1939 – 1945. The east face is inscribed with 12 names of the fallen and the west face with 13 names. On the south face is the coat of arms of the town. The names of 14 parishioners who died during the Second World War are carved on three sides of the upper tier of the base.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, accessed 22 July 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4649
War Memorials Online, accessed 22 June 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/232011/
Other
‘Dedication of War Memorial at Eye’, The Diss Express, Friday 29 July 1921

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].