Raughton Head War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1459491
Date first listed:
28-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Triangular Green Outside All Saints Church, Raughton Head, Cumbria, CA5 7DD

Map

Ordnance survey map of Raughton Head War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1459491 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 13:06:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
Triangular Green Outside All Saints Church, Raughton Head, Cumbria, CA5 7DD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Dalston
National Grid Reference:
NY3789245567

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Raughton Head War Memorial, which stands on a triangular green opposite the Church of All Saints, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elaborately carved and well-executed granite cross.

Group value:

* with the Church of All Saints (Grade II) and the Chapel House (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Raughton Head. It was made by monumental masons, Beattie and Co, of Carlisle and cost £165. The memorial commemorates 13 local servicemen who fell (and a further 59 who served and returned) in the First World War. It was unveiled on 31 August 1920 and dedicated by the vicar of Raughton Head.

The names of 19 men who served and returned from the Second World War were added subsequently.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Scottish granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located on a triangular green at a road junction in the centre of Raughton Head, Cumbria. It is prominently situated at the heart of the hamlet and opposite the parish church. It comprises a tall Scottish granite Celtic cross with a central boss and knot work carved on all sides, atop a tall, four-sided pillar with a moulded cornice and including ball mouldings underneath, bearing Celtic decorative motifs and inscriptions. The pillar is set upon a two-stepped base.

The pillar bears the inscriptions in leaded lettering which reads: THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ KILLED IN ACTION/ (NAMES)/ “THE GLORIOUS DEAD”// SERVED IN HM FORCES/ (NAMES)// SERVED IN HM FORCES/ (NAMES)// SERVED 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)/ IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE/ OF THOSE FROM THIS/ PARISH/ WHO ANSWERED THEIR COUNTRY’S CALL/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 2 April 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4310
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 April 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/172422/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].