Stable range at Lawnswood House

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1459911

Date first listed: 28-Sep-2018

Location Description: Lawnswood House, South Staffordshire, DY7 5QJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Stable range at Lawnswood House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1459911 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 08:36:37.

Location

Location Description: Lawnswood House, South Staffordshire, DY7 5QJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Kinver

National Grid Reference: SO8773287338

Summary

Stable range with domestic building to the south-east, built in 1839.

Reasons for Designation

The stable range at Lawnswood House, Stourbridge is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as a building displaying a good level of architectural quality in its craftsmanship and design, with a tower and Italianate detailing; * the stable range has a good degree of survival and is very little altered, retaining its mid-C19 loose boxes and windows.

Historic interest:

* the building is a good example of a stable range with attached accommodation block from this period.

History

Lawnswood House is not depicted on the tithe map of 1839, though the corresponding apportionment describes a ‘New House, Garden and Pleasure Ground’. It is likely that Lawnswood was in the process of being erected when the tithe surveys took place; a construction date of 1839 is therefore probable. The house was built for George Firmstone who was an iron founder located in neighbouring Stourbridge.

Lawnswood House is depicted along with its entrance lodge and stable range on Fowler’s map of the parish dating from 1840. By the time of the Ordnance Survey map of 1883, Lawnswood is depicted as an L-shaped building with an additional detached range to the east. The map also shows an entrance lodge to the south-east of the house, stable range to the north-east, and glasshouses and walled garden to the east.

The principal house underwent significant alteration in the 1920s and 30s when the house came under new ownership. Internal alterations were made including the opening up of the former library, strong room, butler’s pantry and china closet to create a large entrance hall. The principal stair was also replaced at this time, and a large fireplace was inserted at the south end of the hall. Ornate wooden fireplace surrounds with foliate carvings were inserted into morning room and dining room, replacing the earlier fireplaces. The service range was also reconfigured internally during this time, with many of the rooms being opened up and the former laundry and cooking kitchen being incorporated into a new garage extension. It is likely that the colonnaded entrance to the south-east of the house was also rebuilt on a slightly reduced footprint at this time.

The 1938 Ordnance Survey map shows that the glasshouses within the walled garden had been demolished by this date, as had a small conservatory on the south east elevation of the house. By 1968 a new glasshouse had been erected running parallel to the potting shed on the south elevation of the north wall of the walled garden.

In the early-C21 the timber rafters on the north-east section of the stable range were renewed with all of the rafters in this section of the building replaced; a moving shutter was also added to the vehicle entrance to the east of the range. The fireplaces in the domestic section of the stable range are all replacements of the late-C20.

Details

A stable range with domestic range to the south-east, built in 1839.

MATERIALS: the building is constructed of brick, in a stretcher bond, with slate roof.

PLAN: the stable range is located to the north-east of Lawnswood House comprising three ranges surrounding a courtyard to the south. There is an attached L-shaped domestic building providing accommodation to the south east of the stables.

EXTERIOR: the north and west ranges are single-storey with stable doors and C19 casement windows with a mounting block to the left (south-west). The west range has, on its south elevation, a stilted arch window with C19 casement. The east elevation of this west range has two openings with shutters but neither with glazing; both openings are situated to either side of a stable door. To the right (north) is a further double timber door.

The north range has three further stable doors, with C19 windows in between; the two windows and door at the very east of the range have segmental arches. At the north-east corner of the north range is a tower, which is square on plan, with open arcading supported by imposts at its top. Below is a bull’s eye window on each elevation with two very small lights on its south elevation. The tower is accessed via an external stair leading from the courtyard.

The east range is of two-storeys and has two further stable doors under segmental arches and three C19 stilted arch windows. There is a large opening to the south to accommodate vehicles, with a late-C20 moving shutter. Further to the south of the stable range is an L shaped domestic building with projecting bay window on the ground floor and casement above. On the south-east elevation is the entrance to the building, with further C19 casements to the right.

INTERIOR: the stable ranges retain their loose boxes, of which there are seven across the three ranges. The drinking troughs in the loose boxes are constructed of concrete blocks and are C20 replacements. At the north-west of the building is a tack room retaining its C19 fireplace.

The domestic building to the south-east has on its ground floor a kitchen and two reception rooms, both with late-C20 fireplaces. On the first floor there is a bathroom and two bedrooms, neither of which contains a fireplace.



Sources

Websites
Sales Particulars 'Lawnswood', accessed 1 August 2018 from https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbwmrstes160074
Other
Fowler's Map of Kingswinford 1839-1840, Dudley Archives and Local History Service
Kingswinford Tithe Map, 1839
'Lawnswood House: An Assessment of Significance', Bidwells, 2018

End of official listing