Terling War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1460050
Date first listed:
28-Jan-2019
Statutory Address:
Church Green, Church Road, Terling, Chelmsford, CM3 2PQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Terling War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1460050 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:24:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church Green, Church Road, Terling, Chelmsford, CM3 2PQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Braintree (District Authority)
Parish:
Terling
National Grid Reference:
TL7727014851

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Terling War Memorial, which stands on Church Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegant Portland stone Latin cross with fine lettering and a carved Sword of Sacrifice.

Group value:

* with the United Reform Church (Grade II*), Vine Cottage and Church View (Grade II*), Rose Cottage (Grade II) and All Saints Church (Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Terling as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was unveiled on 27 March 1921 by the Dowager Lady Rayleigh with an address by the Hon C H Strutt and it was dedicated by Rev Canon Galpin. It commemorates 23 local servicemen who died during the First World War. 

Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the four fallen of that conflict. 

The names of the fallen of the nearby village of Fairstead were also added to the memorial at an unknown date; eight from the First World War and two from the Second World War.

Details

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located on Church Green close to All Saints Church. It comprises a Latin cross with a Sword of Sacrifice carved in relief on its front face. The cross rises from an octagonal plinth on a two stepped octagonal base.

The plinth is incised with the dedication and names of the fallen. The First World War dedication reads TO THE HONOUR OF THE/ MEN OF TERLING/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR./ 1914 – 1918./ THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED/ IN PROUD AND AFFECTIONATE/ MEMORY BY THEIR GRATEFUL/ FELLOW PARISHIONERS AND/ FRIENDS./ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. The other faces are incised with the names of the fallen those for the Second World War are preceded by 1939 – 1945.

Sources

Websites
Cutler, H, 2013, 'Lest we Forget', accessed 3 Oct 2018 from https://historicterling.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/let-us-commemorate-december-2016-a4.pdf
War Memorial Register, accessed 21 March 2017 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/22378
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 March 2017 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/101719
Other
‘Terling Memorial’, Chelmsford Chronicle, (1 April 1921), 7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].