Whittington War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462073
Date first listed:
17-Jan-2019
Statutory Address:
Junction of Church Street and Main Street, Whittington, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS14 9JU

Map

Ordnance survey map of Whittington War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462073 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 21:17:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of Church Street and Main Street, Whittington, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS14 9JU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Lichfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Whittington
National Grid Reference:
SK1606008269

Summary

A First World War memorial, erected in 1924; altered by the addition of further names after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial outside the former village school in Whittington is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the church’s community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its design, a well-executed granite cross with neat inscriptions.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England.  This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.  One such memorial was raised at Whittington as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 19 former pupils of the local school who lost their lives in the First World War.

Whittington War Memorial was unveiled on 20 April 1924 by Colonel BT Seckham and dedicated by Reverend DM Cohu. It was designed by Mr W Bramley, headmaster of Whittington School, with the work carried out by Mr Lamb of Lichfield.

Following the Second World War the names of 13 fallen from that conflict were added to the memorial.

Details

A First World War memorial, erected in 1924; altered by the addition of further names after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of a cross pattee on a tapering plinth on a square base. A Latin cross is carved in relief on the south face of the cross head. The south face of the plinth bears lead lettering which reads ERECTED/ TO THE MEMORY/ OF THE OLD SCHOLARS/ OF WHITTINGTON SCHOOL/ WHO FELL DURING THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918./ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. The names of the 19 fallen from that conflict are recorded on the remaining faces of the plinth. The south face of the base reads ALSO IN PROUD REMEMBRANCE OF/ THE MEN OF WHITTINGTON/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE 2ND WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945. The names of the 13 fallen from this conflict are listed on the east and west faces of the best.

The memorial stands on a paved area next to the former village school. Metal railings and a gate to the south of the memorial provide access from the pavement.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register: Whittington War Memorial, accessed 14.12.2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/13503
War Memorials Online Database, Whittington War Memorial WMO110295 , accessed 14.12.2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/110295/
Other
‘Whittington School War Memorial’, Lichfield Mercury, 25 April 1924, p.5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].