Churchdown War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462083
Date first listed:
28-Feb-2019
Statutory Address:
Church of St Andrew, Church Street, Churchdown, Gloucestershire, GL3 2JT

Map

Ordnance survey map of Churchdown War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462083.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 01:05:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Andrew, Church Street, Churchdown, Gloucestershire, GL3 2JT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Churchdown
National Grid Reference:
SO8833919821

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1921, with additional names added following later conflicts.

Reasons for Designation

Churchdown War Memorial in the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its elegant design which includes good-quality carved detailing.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. 

One such memorial was raised at Churchdown, in the churchyard of the Church of St Andrew (unlisted), as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 28 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled on 3 August 1921 by Mr JH Jones and dedicated by the Reverend JJD Cooke. In 1932 the memorial was conserved with the help of the Churchdown Branch of the Royal British Legion. Further names of the fallen were added following the end of the Second World War and the Malayan Emergency.

Details

First World War memorial, unveiled in 1921, with additional names added following later conflicts.

MATERIALS: constructed of ashlar with bronze plaques.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial consists of a stone cross on a collared shaft. The cross head has a carved rose and oak leaf at its centre, while the base of the cross shaft has a carved wreath on each face. The shaft rises from a plinth on a three-stepped octagonal base.

Bronze plaques bearing the names of the fallen are fixed to the faces of the plinth. The north and south faces of base of the plinth have two carved square-leaf bosses. On the other faces of the plinth base is an inscription which reads, in a clockwise direction from the north-east: HAVE IN HONOUR/ ALL THOSE SONS/ OF CHURCHDOWN/ WHO WENT FORTH/ TO SERVE IN THE/ YEARS 1914-1918/ GREATER LOVE/ HATH NO MAN/ THAN THIS/ THAT HE LAY/ DOWN HIS LIFE/ FOR HIS FRIENDS.

A bronze plaque on the north-west face of the top step reads: 1939-1945, with the names of the fallen from that conflict recorded on bronze plaques on the north and west faces. A square bronze plaque on the north-west face of the middle step records the name of a serviceman who lost his life in the Malayan Emergency.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Memorials Register: Churchdown War Memorial, accessed 14 December 2018 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/34330
War Memorial Online database: Churchdown War Memorial, accessed 14 December 2018 from http://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/136570
Other
“Churchdown War Memorial”, Cheltenham Chronicle, (9 April 1921), p5
“Churchdown War Memorial”, Gloucester Citizen, (4 April 1921), p3
“Churchdown War Memorial”, Gloucestershire Echo, (2 April 1949), p2
“Churchdown War Memorial”, Gloucestershire Echo, (4 April 1921), p4
“Splendid Service”, Gloucester Citizen, (4 March 1921), p7
“To-morrow”, Gloucestershire Echo, (2 April 1921), p5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].