Bodenham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462186
Date first listed:
07-Jun-2019
Statutory Address:
Junction of Church Lane and Millcroft Road, Bodenham, Herefordshire, HR1 3JT

Map

Ordnance survey map of Bodenham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462186 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:53:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of Church Lane and Millcroft Road, Bodenham, Herefordshire, HR1 3JT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bodenham
National Grid Reference:
SO5303151140

Summary

A war memorial of 1921 date constructed of stone.

Reasons for Designation

Bodenham War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* it is a well detailed war memorial in the form of a Latin cross.

Group value:

* it has group value with the remains of a medieval Market Cross (Grade II) and other listed buildings in this part of the village.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was raised at Bodenham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled by Major General Sir Elliott Wood and dedicated by the Bishop of Hereford on 19 March 1921. The memorial stands in a prominent roadside location, close to the remains of a medieval Market Cross (listed at Grade II).

Details

A war memorial of 1921 date.

MATERIALS: constructed of stone.

DESCRIPTION: comprising a plain Latin cross on a slender tapering octagonal shaft with a small square plinth and four-stepped base. The main inscription in incised and black-painted lettering reads: THIS CROSS IS DEDICATED TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ BODENHAM WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR US IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914–1919./ “LET THOSE WHO COME AFTER SEE TO IT THAT THEIR NAMES/ BE NOT FORGOTTEN”. The names of the 24 parishioners who died in the First World War are inscribed on the other three faces of the plinth.

Sources

Websites
National Inventory of War Memorials - Bodenham, accessed 21 March 2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/32469
War Memorials Online - Bodenham, accessed 21 March 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/164297/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].