Weobley War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462192
Date first listed:
07-Jun-2019
Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Church Road, Weobley, Herefordshire, HE4 8SD

Map

Ordnance survey map of Weobley War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462192.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 01:35:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter and St Paul, Church Road, Weobley, Herefordshire, HE4 8SD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Weobley
National Grid Reference:
SO4017151831

Summary

A war memorial cross of 1920 constructed of sandstone.

Reasons for Designation

Weobley War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* it is an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* it is a well-detailed war memorial in the form of a Latin cross.

Group value:

* it has group value with the Grade I listed Church of St Peter and St Paul and the Churchyard Cross (Grade II and a Scheduled Monument).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Weobley as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed by Mr William G Storr Barber (sculptor) who designed war memorials for several other nearby parishes. The memorial was unveiled on 2 December 1920 by Colonel FH Leather DSO. An inscription commemorating those who served during the Second World War was subsequently added to the memorial.

The memorial stands in the churchyard, to the south of the Church of St Peter and St Paul (Grade I) and a short distance from a medieval churchyard cross (Grade II and a Scheduled Monument).

Details

A war memorial of 1920 date.

MATERIALS: constructed of sandstone.

DESCRIPTION: comprising a plain Latin cross on a tapering octagonal shaft with a plinth and two-stepped square base, set within an octagonal kerbed area. The memorial stands approximately 4.2m high.

The main inscription in incised lettering on the north face of the plinth reads: IN/ GRATEFUL/ AND LOVING MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ OF THIS PARISH/ WHO LAID DOWN/ THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914–1919. The north face of the upper step of the base reads: THEY SHALL NOT GROW [SIC] OLD AS WE THAT ARE LEFT GROW OLD/ AGE SHALL NOT WEARY THEM NOR THE YEARS CONDEMN/ AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN AND IN THE MORNING/ WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM. The other faces are each inscribed with six names. The south face of the upper step of the base reads: ALL FROM THIS PARISH WHO SERVED BETWEEN 1939 – 1945/ BY THE GRACE OF GOD RETURNED SAFELY.

Sources

Websites
National Inventory of War Memorials - Weobley, accessed 22 March 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33117
War Memorials Online - St Peter and St Paul's Church, accessed 22 March 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/174478/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].