Sandown War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463131
Date first listed:
09-Apr-2019
Statutory Address:
Esplanade, Sandown, Isle of Wight, PO36 8LA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Sandown War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463131 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:10:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
Esplanade, Sandown, Isle of Wight, PO36 8LA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sandown
National Grid Reference:
SZ6004284211

Summary

First World War memorial, erected in 1921, to the design of Percy Stone with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Sandown War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest: * the memorial was designed by the architect and antiquarian Percy Stone, whose career was devoted to the study and restoration of the island’s historic fabric; * for its imposing design, taking the form of a Celtic cross in Portland stone, with accomplished carving to the western face.

History

Sandown War Memorial was unveiled and dedicated on 25 July 1921 by HRH Princess Beatrice, then Governor of the Isle of Wight. The memorial was erected to commemorate the 78 servicemen of the town who gave their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was designed by the local architect Percy Stone, and constructed by Mr C. Travail of Truro, at a cost of about £560. The stones forming the base formerly served as gun mountings at Sandown's Yaverland Battery.

The architect and antiquarian Percy Goddard Stone (1856-1934) was born in London, the son of the architect Coutts Stone. He was articled to George Devey in 1875, and was briefly an assistant to his brother-in-law William (later Sir William) Emerson. He entered into partnership with his father in 1879, remaining in London until the late 1890s when he moved to the Isle of Wight.

Stone became the island’s historian, with a particular interest in Carisbrooke Castle, on which he undertook restorations under the patronage of Princess Beatrice, from around 1898. In 1904 the rebuilt Chapel of St Nicholas was dedicated as a memorial to Charles I. Stone completed the restoration in 1929, when it was rededicated as the County War Memorial. Stone’s designed a number of war memorials on the island including those at Arreton, Bembridge, Brading, Freshwater Whippingham and Whitwell, all listed at Grade II. The inscription of the Sandown memorial was later amended to include the dates of the Second World War, and a plaque with the names of those lost during that conflict added in 2004.

Details

First World War memorial, erected in 1921, to the design of Percy Stone with later additions for the Second World War. The memorial stands on a purpose-built semi-circular bastion with iron railings projecting seaward from the esplanade.

MATERIALS: Cornish granite.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial faces north-westwards towards the Esplanade. The tall cross stands on a curved plinth, which in turn stands on a two-stepped base. The cross is decorated with knot carving. On the wheel of the cross is carved the quotation from the book of Ecclesiasticus, ‘THEIR / NAME / LIVETH FOR EVERMORE'. Panels on the face of the shaft are inscribed, ‘EACH / GAVE / A / LIFE FOR YOU AND ME’ (a quotation from one of the ‘Ballads of Battle’ by Lance Corporal Joseph Lee) and ‘A MEMORIAL / TO THE / SANDOWN/ MEN / WHO GAVE / THEIR LIVES / IN THE / GREAT WAR / 1914-1920’. On the front of the plinth is a recessed panel bearing metal lettering, with the words, ‘REMEMBER THE LOVE OF THEM/ WHO CAME NOT HOME/ FROM THE WARS’. On the border beneath the panel have been inserted the dates: ‘1914-18 – 1939-45’. The names of those lost in the First World War are inscribed on the other sides of the plinth and a granite plaque with those of the Second World War dead has been added to the face of the top step.

Sources

Books and journals
Lloyd, D, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (2006), 255
Pevsner, N, Lloyd, D W, The Buildings of England: Isle of Wight, (2006), 255
Websites
Dictionary of Scottish Architects, accessed 7 February 2019 from http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=203790
Isle of Wight 'Hidden Heroes' website, accessed 25 March 2019 from https://iwhiddenheroes.org.uk/percy-goddard-stone-fsa-friba/
Memorials and Monuments on the Isle of Wight, accessed 13 February 2019 from http://www.isle-of-wight-memorials.org.uk/towns/sandown.htm
War Memorials Online, accessed 13 February 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/155242
Website of St Mary the Virgin, Carisbrooke, accessed 7 February 2019 from http://carisbrookestmary.org.uk/st-nicholas-in-castro/
Other
Isle of Wight County Archaeology and Historic Environment Service Monument Full Report SMR Number 2945 - MIW4460

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].