Norwell War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463366
Date first listed:
17-May-2019
Statutory Address:
Church of St Laurence, Main Street, Norwell, Nottinghamshire, NG23 6JT

Map

Ordnance survey map of Norwell War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463366 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:09:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Laurence, Main Street, Norwell, Nottinghamshire, NG23 6JT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Norwell
National Grid Reference:
SK7753361768

Summary

War memorial, crafted by G Brown and Son of Newark and unveiled in 1921, dedicated to the fallen of the First and Second World Wars and Malayan Emergency.

Reasons for Designation

Norwell War Memorial, crafted by G Brown and Son of Newark and unveiled in 1921, dedicated to the fallen of the First and Second World Wars and Malayan Emergency, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * as a modest but well-executed memorial.

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value: * for the strong geographic group value the war memorial holds with nearby listed buildings, including the Church of St Laurence (listed at Grade I) and the boundary wall of the churchyard (listed at Grade II), and the nearby scheduled monument of Old Hall moat and its two associated fishponds.

History

The aftermath of the First World War (1914-1918) saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at the Church of St Laurence in Norwell as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 11 members of the local community of Norwell who lost their lives in the First World War. Following a public meeting in Norwell in August 1919, a memorial was funded by public subscription. Crafted by G Brown and Son of Newark at a cost of £150, the memorial was dedicated on 17 September 1921. Following the Second World War (1939-1945), the names of three members of the local community who lost their lives were added to the war memorial, and later the name of one man who died in Malaya in 1952 during the Malayan Emergency (1948-1960).

Details

War memorial, crafted by G Brown and Son of Newark and unveiled in 1921, dedicated to the fallen of the First and Second World Wars and Malayan Emergency.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is constructed of rough-hewn granite, and takes the form of a Celtic cross on a tapered plinth and single step. The front (north) elevation of the shaft and plinth bears the following painted inscription: 1914 – 1919 / ERECTED / BY PUBLIC / SUBSCRIPTION / IN MEMORY OF / (NAMES) / WHO COUNTED NOT THEIR LIVES DEAR / UNTO THEMSELVES, BUT DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE / IN RIGHTEOUSNESS, TRUTH AND PEACE. The rear (south) side is inscribed: IN HONOURED MEMORY OF / (NAMES) / WHO FELL IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR / 1939 – 1945 / O VALIANT HEARTS WHO TO YOUR / GLORY CAME / (NAME) / 1952 / MALAYA. The war memorial stands within the churchyard of the Church of St Laurence (listed at Grade I), within the boundary wall of the churchyard (listed at Grade II).

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum, ‘War Memorials Register’, ‘Norwell’, accessed 28 February 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27358
Nottinghamshire County Council, ‘Norwell’, accessed 28 February 2019 from https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/WarMemorials/Details/129
Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project, ‘Norwell St Laurence’, accessed 28 February 2019 from http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/norwell/hwarmem.php
Other
Newark and Sherwood District Council, Survey of Outdoor War Memorials, (November 2018), p86

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].