Talaton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463401
Date first listed:
09-Apr-2019
Statutory Address:
Church of St James, Church Road, Talaton, Devon, EX5 2RQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Talaton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463401 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 21:14:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St James, Church Road, Talaton, Devon, EX5 2RQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Talaton
National Grid Reference:
SY0675199716

Summary

A First World War memorial, erected in 1922; altered after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Talaton War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St James, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest: * as a well-executed example of a plain Latin cross type of memorial.

Group value: * with the Church of St James (Grade I), close to the Sanne headstone (Grade II) and the two Webb headstones (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Talaton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 13 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was unveiled on Thursday 11 May 1922 by Sir John Kennaway.

The names of three parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial, and the word ‘war’ in the earlier inscription changed to ‘wars’.

Details

A First World War memorial, erected in 1922; altered after the Second World War.

MATERIALS Granite.

DESCRIPTION The memorial stands in a prominent location in the churchyard to the south of the Church of St James (Grade I), close to the Sanne headstone (Grade II) and the two Webb headstones (Grade II).

The memorial comprises a carved-granite plain Latin cross with a gently tapering octagonal shaft on a square plinth and two-stepped octagonal base. The main inscription in leaded lettering on the south face of the plinth reads: 1914-1918 / TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY / OF THE BRAVE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WARS followed by the names of the 13 fallen. The north face of the plinth is inscribed 1939-1945 and the names of the three men who fell in the Second World War.

Sources

Websites
Devon Heritage: Talaton – the war memorial, accessed 01 March 2019 from http://www.devonheritage.org/Places/Talaton/TalatonWarMemorial.htm
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register – Talaton Memorial Cross , accessed 01 March 2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/25420
War Memorials Online – Talaton, accessed 01 March 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/252282/
Other
‘Talaton War Memorial’, Western Times, Friday 12 May 1922.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].