Stannington War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Junction of Upper Gate Road and Church Street, Stannington, Sheffield


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463548.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2021 at 17:23:55.


Statutory Address:
Junction of Upper Gate Road and Church Street, Stannington, Sheffield

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, 1921, with Second World War additions

Reasons for Designation

Stannington War Memorial, erected 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a well-executed and dignified memorial in the form of a wheel-head cross, employing good quality design, craftsmanship and materials.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England.  This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.  One such memorial was raised at Stannington as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 69 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Stannington War Memorial was paid for by subscription and was unveiled on 29 October 1921, by Lieutenant-Colonel F Revell-Sutton, who had donated the land upon which it stands. The ceremony was preceded by the ex-servicemen of the district, under the direction of ex-sergeant A Nichols, marching from Knowle Top to the memorial, accompanied by the Fulwood Brass Band. A large crowd gathered for the ceremony, including many of whom were relatives of the fallen, together with a number of clergy and various dignitaries. The dedication was undertaken by the Bishop of Sheffield, who having just returned from Belgium, reassured the grieving families that their relatives’ graves were beautifully kept, and better than some of the churchyards and cemeteries in their own land. Following the Second World War, the 14 names of the fallen from that conflict were also added to the memorial.


First World War memorial, 1921, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: Rivelin gritstone and red granite tablets.

DESCRIPTION: Stannington War Memorial consists of a wheel-headed Latin cross on a tapering ashlar shaft, with a laurel wreath carved in relief at its base. The cross shaft rises from a square-plan three-stepped base, set within an octagonal feather-edged kerb. A rectangular stone grave vase is situated against the bottom step of the base. Four red granite tablets, bearing incised inscriptions picked out in gilt, are fixed to the upper pair of steps. The tablet on the west face of the top step reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN EVERLASTING MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES. 1939 – 1945./ STANNINGTON. LOXLEY./ (14 names) and has a granite apron on the upper surface of the middle step. The tablet on the west face of the middle step bears the inscription: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN EVER GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE FOLLOWING MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR,/ 1914 – 1919./ SEE TO IT THAT NONE OF THESE/ SHALL HAVE DIED IN VAIN. The tablets on the north and south faces of the middle step record the 69 names of the Fallen from the First World War.

The memorial is situated within a roughly D-plan enclosure of coursed quarry-faced stone walls with ridged quarry-faced coping stones to the rear and sides, and ashlar saddle-back coping stones to the front; the latter also has a decorative cast-iron railing and a central, splayed opening with a suspended chain, reached by stone steps. A modern white painted flag pole is situated to the rear.


Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register - Stannington Parishoners - WW1 & WW2, accessed 11 March 2019 from
War Memorials Online - Stannington, accessed 12 March 2019 from
Sheffield Daily Telegraph, Page 2, Column 4, 31 October 1921 - In Memoriam, Unveiling of Stannington War Memorial
Sheffield Daily Telegraph, Page 5, Column 1, 6 August 1921 - Wortley Rural Council Meeting


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].