Stretham War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463649
Date first listed:
26-Apr-2019
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of St James' Church, High Street, Stretham, CB6 3LD

Map

Ordnance survey map of Stretham War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463649 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 20:44:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of St James' Church, High Street, Stretham, CB6 3LD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Stretham
National Grid Reference:
TL5121774621

Summary

War memorial, unveiled in 1922, dedicated to the fallen of the First and Second World Wars.

Reasons for Designation

Stretham war memorial, unveiled in 1922, dedicated to the fallen of the First and Second World Wars, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * as a modest but well-executed memorial;

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;

Group value: * for the strong geographic group value the war memorial holds with nearby listed buildings, including the Church of St James (listed at Grade II*), and the village cross (also listed at Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War (1914-18) saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised in the churchyard of the Church of St James in Stretham as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 24 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial cost £100, and was unveiled on 2 July 1922 by Lieutenant-Colonel F J M Stratton, DSO and dedicated on the same day by the Right Rev Bishop Price, DD. Following the Second World War (1939-45), the names of eleven members of the local community who lost their lives were added to the war memorial.

Details

War memorial, unveiled in 1922, dedicated to the fallen of the First and Second World Wars.

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is constructed of Ketton stone, and takes the form of a Celtic cross on a square plinth and four-stepped base. The front (east) elevation of the plinth bears the following inscription: ‘TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF STRETHAM WHO FELL / IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918 / (NAMES)’. A stone slab resting on the third step is inscribed: ‘1939 - 1945 / (NAMES)’. The war memorial stands within the churchyard of the Church of St James, opposite the village cross (both listed at Grade II*).

Sources

Websites
IWM, ‘Stretham’, accessed 14 March 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/8407
Roll of Honour, ‘Cambridgeshire, Stretham’, accessed 14 March 2019 from http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Cambridgeshire/Stretham.html
War Memorials Online, 'Stretham', accessed 14 March 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/142282/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].