Threshing Barn at Old Monkton Farm

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463675
Date first listed:
23-Apr-2019
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Ocle Pychard, Hereford, HR1 3QQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Threshing Barn at Old Monkton Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463675.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 01:42:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
Ocle Pychard, Hereford, HR1 3QQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ocle Pychard
National Grid Reference:
SO5785845402

Summary

Threshing barn at Old Monkton Farm, thought to date primarily from the C18 but possibly re-using earlier fabric.

Reasons for Designation

The Threshing Barn at Old Monkton Farm, thought to date from the C18, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* it is an unusually large example of a timber framed threshing barn of the C18, which may incorporate earlier fabric; * the barn has considerable evidence demonstrating its historic construction and evolution which adds to its interest; * despite external alterations, the timber frame survives well.

Historic interest:

* for its illustration of historic farming practices and their evolution over time; * for its position within the historic manor of Monkton, formerly owned by the Priory of St Guthlac and which appears to have remained an estate of some status after the Dissolution.

History

Old Monkton Farm lies in the parish of Ocle Pychard. The manor of Monkton is known to have belonged to the Benedictine Priory of St Guthlac in nearby Hereford, and was possibly a grange or cell for that priory. After the Dissolution, the land was granted to Sir John Price or Prise, a Welsh public notary and scholar. Little is known about Monkton Farm itself, although during the C18 the manor was owned by Thomas Phillips of Eaton Bishop.

The farmhouse is most likely the oldest building on the site, probably dating from the C17 although much altered and now a fragmentary survival (not listed). This threshing barn appears to date in its present form from the C18, although there is evidence of re-used timbers and it may incorporate earlier fabric. At seven bays long, it is unusually large, suggesting that this was a location of some importance. The barn for storing and threshing corn is the most important building and usually the largest. They are generally the oldest and most impressive buildings to be found on farms and they dominate the statutory list in terms of which kinds of farm buildings are designated. The traditional threshing barn has bays for storage of the crop flanking the floor where it could be threshed. These threshing bays had opposing doors which, when opened, allowed a through breeze which helped to separate the grain for the chaff. Survival of threshing floors is now relatively uncommon.

Sales particulars of 1852 describe the spending of "several hundred pounds [in the] last two years improving the estate and buildings", which suggests that the rebuilding and remodelling of the farmhouse and large brick barn (not listed) may have taken place at this time. A plan accompanying the sale shows both barns to have been L-plan at that time, with the house to the south. The farm is also depicted on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1887. This shows the house to the south with a loose courtyard arrangement of barns north of it, which remains legible today, with later buildings added. By the time of the Second Edition Ordnance Survey of 1904, a new house had been built on the west side of the farm and some additional farm buildings to the north.

Details

Threshing barn at Old Monkton Farm, thought to date primarily from the C18 but possibly re-using earlier fabric.

MATERIALS: the barn is timber framed with external weatherboarding and a corrugated sheet roof.

PLAN: the threshing barn stands approximately in the centre of the farm and is orientated roughly east-west.

EXTERIOR: the threshing barn encloses what was the northern side of the farmyard. Externally is it mostly clad in timber weatherboarding, with some areas of brick, with few openings. The threshing doors are towards the western end of the building. The roof is modern corrugated sheeting.

INTERIOR: the barn's timber frame is visible internally. It is of seven bays with trusses which have angle struts and are supported on central posts which demarcate the bays of the barn. The framing of mostly of square panels with some bracing, and much evidence or re-used timbers. Many of the timbers have holes suggesting the original panel infilling was of staves and withies. The stone flagged threshing floor partially survives.

Sources

Websites
Herefordshire Through Time, ref. SMR 9007, accessed 8.4.2019 from https://htt.herefordshire.gov.uk/her-search/monuments-search/search/Monument?ID=9007
Other
Herefordshire Archive and Record Centre, Monkton Estate Sales Particulars 1852 ref. O61/4785
Herefordshire Archive and Record Centre, Monkton Manor Deeds 1775-1852 ref. O61/4772
Herefordshire Archive and Record Centre, Notes on Sir John Price incl. Manor of Monkton, ref. CF50/140 f.416-417

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].