Kimbolton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1463853
Date first listed:
21-May-2019
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
located in the churchyard of the Church of St James, Church Bank, Kimbolton, Leominster

Map

Ordnance survey map of Kimbolton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1463853 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:06:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
located in the churchyard of the Church of St James, Church Bank, Kimbolton, Leominster

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kimbolton
National Grid Reference:
SO5257061605

Summary

First World War memorial, erected in about 1920, and attributed to the sculptor William G Storr-Barber.

Reasons for Designation

Kimbolton War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* for its association with the sculptor William G Storr-Barber; * as an accomplished, well-realised and poignant design in the form of a Latin cross.

Group value:

* with the Church of St James, listed at Grade II*.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Kimbolton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. Kimbolton War Memorial was erected in about 1920 to commemorate the men of the parish who died during the First World War. The design and execution of the war memorial is attributed to the sculptor, William G Storr-Barber who served in the First World War with the Royal Marines.

The names of those parishioners who died in the Second World War have been added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, erected in about 1920, and attributed to the sculptor William G Storr-Barber.

MATERIALS: carved of stone.

DESCRIPTION: located in the churchyard of the Church of St James (Grade II*), to the south-west of the west tower, the war memorial comprises a Latin cross with floral decoration, surmounted on a tapered octagonal column. The column stands on a two-stage octagonal pedestal, with angled moulding between the dado and the plinth. The whole stands on a square platform.

To the west face of the dado is a carved-stone scallop shell, the symbol of St James, above which ‘1939 – 1945’ is inscribed. The names, regiments, place and date of death of the three men of the parish who died during the Second World War are inscribed to three sides of the dado.

To the west face of the plinth is the inscription:

AM D G [Ad maiorem Dei gloriam, for the greater glory of God] / THIS SIGN OF VICTORY IS SET / ON A HOMELAND HILL BY THE / PEOPLE OF THIS PLACE IN PER- / PETUAL MEMORY OF THE SHINING / SACRIFICE OF THE MEN WHO / CROSSED THE SEAS IN DEFENCE / OF OUR HOMES AND LIBERTIES / 1914 – 1918.

The names, regiments, place and date of death of the 16 men of the parish who died in the First World War are inscribed to four sides of the plinth.

Sources

Websites
Kimbolton War Memorial, accessed 27 March 2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33199
Kimbolton War Memorial Herefordshire, accessed 27 March 2019 from http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/can-you-photograph-your-local-war-memorial.18293/page-67#post-681979

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].