Thurlestone War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1464182
Date first listed:
29-May-2019
Statutory Address:
Village Green, Eddystone Road, Thurlestone, Devon, TQ7 3NN

Map

Ordnance survey map of Thurlestone War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1464182 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:25:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
Village Green, Eddystone Road, Thurlestone, Devon, TQ7 3NN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Thurlestone
National Grid Reference:
SX6732342810

Summary

War memorial cross, 1921.

Reasons for Designation

Thurleston War Memorial, 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a well-executed and unaltered example of a Celtic wheel-cross type of memorial, designed by the local rector and based on a medieval cross.

Group value:

* with the Grade II*-listed Church of All Saints.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Thurlestone as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

It was constructed by Messrs W Osborne and Sons of Sticklepath, Okehampton, to the design prepared by the rector, Reverend F E Coope, based on a C15 village cross at South Zeal (listed Grade II*, NHLE ref 1106010). The memorial was unveiled by General Alexander V C and dedicated by the rector, Reverend F E Coope, and the Wesleyan minister, Reverend S R Hicks, on Thursday 22 September 1921.

The names of those parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

War memorial cross, 1921.

MATERIALS: the memorial is constructed from grey granite.

PLAN: prominently positioned on the village green.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a plain Latin cross surmounted upon a tapering octagonal shaft on a square plinth, with a substantial four-stepped square base.

The main inscription in leaded lettering is on the north-east face of the plinth; it reads: ‘IN GRATEFUL MEMORY / OF / THE MEN OF THIS / PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR / LIVES FOR US DURING THE GREAT WAR / 1914 TO 1918’ followed by the 12 names of the fallen parishioners on the upper step of the base.

An additional inscription on the south-east face reads: ‘1939-1945’, followed by 11 names.

Sources

Websites
Thurlesstone, ref 25783, Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, accessed 18/04/2019 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/25783
Thurlestone War Memorial Cross (HER no MDV106623), Devon HER, accessed 24/05/2019 from https://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?resourceID=104&uid=MDV106623
Thurlestone, ref 145957, War Memorials Online, accessed 18/04/2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/145957/
Other
Thurlestone Memorial, The Western Times, 18 November 1921, 7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].