Kenny Hill and Burnt Fen War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Kenny Hill, Mildenhall Drove, Suffolk, IP28 8DT


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1464733.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 22:06:38.


Statutory Address:
Kenny Hill, Mildenhall Drove, Suffolk, IP28 8DT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Suffolk (District Authority)
Beck Row, Holywell Row and Kenny Hill
National Grid Reference:


A First World War memorial, built 1919.

Reasons for Designation

Kenny Hill and Burnt Fen War Memorial of 1919 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: *as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War;

Architectural interest: *for its design of an urn on a square marble pillar.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Kenny Hill as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 17 parishioners of Kenny Hill and Burnt Fen who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial was made by Mr HG Neville of Mildenhall. It was unveiled on Thursday 14 August 1919 by Private J Greenacre. The total cost of the memorial and a brass memorial tablet erected in the church was £140.


A First World War memorial, built 1919.

MATERIALS Sicilian marble.

DESCRIPTION The memorial stands in a roadside location in front of the Church of St James. The memorial takes the form of an urn on a square pillar with a three-stepped base. The main inscription in incised lettering on the east face of the pillar reads: THIS MEMORIAL / WAS ERECTED IN / GRATEFUL MEMORY / OF THE MEN OF / KENNY HILL AND / BURNT FEN / WHO GAVE THEIR / LIVES FOR KING / AND COUNTRY / IN DEFENCE OF / LIBERTY AND / JUSTICE / IN THE / GREAT WAR / 1914-1918. The names of 17 parishioners who died during the First World War are inscribed on the north and south faces of the pillar.


War Memorials Online: Kenny Hill with Burnt Fen War Memorial , accessed 24/05/2019 from
‘War Memorial at Kenny Hill: The Gallant Seventeen’, The Bury Free Press, Saturday, 23 August 1919, p.3.
‘War Memorial at Kenny Hill’, The Bury Free Press, Saturday 30 August 1919.


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].