Hasketon War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1465072
Date first listed:
01-Nov-2019
Statutory Address:
Blacksmiths Road, Opposite Church Road junction, Hasketon, Suffolk, IP13 6JD

Map

Ordnance survey map of Hasketon War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1465072.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2019 at 09:41:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
Blacksmiths Road, Opposite Church Road junction, Hasketon, Suffolk, IP13 6JD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Hasketon
National Grid Reference:
TM2502250497

Summary

First World War memorial, 1919, with Second World War additions. It was designed and built AC Stephenson of Woodbridge.

The late-C20 iron railings enclosing the memorial are not of special interest and are therefore excluded from the listing.

Reasons for Designation

Hasketon War Memorial, erected in 1919 to a design by AC Stephenson of Woodbridge, with Second World War additions, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of a Celtic wheel-head cross.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of war memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Hasketon in Suffolk as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 26 men of the parish who died during the conflict. Designed and built by AC Stephenson of Woodbridge, it was unveiled and dedicated on 7 December 1919 by the Reverend Canon CD Lawrence.

Following the Second World War the names of three parishioners who died in that conflict were added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1919, with Second World War additions. It was designed and built by AC Stephenson of Woodbridge.

MATERIAL: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: Hasketon War Memorial stands in a prominent roadside position at the junction of Blacksmiths Road and Church Road.

The memorial stands 2.7m high and comprises a Celtic wheel-head cross atop a shaft which tapers in rectangular section from a trapezoidal plinth, the whole standing on a two-stepped base. The shaft, arms and wheel of the cross are decorated with elaborately carved knotwork.

The main inscription is in incised and black-painted lettering on the west face of the plinth and reads: THIS MONUMENT / IS ERECTED IN / PROUD AND GRATEFUL / REMEMBRANCE OF / HASKETON HEROES / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1919, while the top step of the base is inscribed: 1939 - 1945. The names of the 26 soldiers who died in the First World War are inscribed on the plinth's north and south faces, while the three names of the Second World War dead are inscribed on the top step of the base.

The late-C20 iron railings enclosing the war memorial are not of special interest and are therefore excluded from the listing.

Sources

Websites
Hasketon War Memorial from the Imperial War Museum's War Memorials Register, accessed 11 June 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5503
Other
East Anglian Daily Times, 8 December 1919

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building but not coloured blue on the map, are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act. However, any works to these structures which have the potential to affect the character of the listed building as a building of special architectural or historic interest may still require Listed Building Consent (LBC) and this is a matter for the Local Planning Authority (LPA) to determine.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].