Haworth War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1465516
Date first listed:
09-Sep-2019
Statutory Address:
Bridgehouse Lane, Junction of Station Road and Brow Road, Haworth, BD22 8PA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Haworth War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1465516.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 01:42:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
Bridgehouse Lane, Junction of Station Road and Brow Road, Haworth, BD22 8PA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury
National Grid Reference:
SE0349236966

Summary

First World War memorial, 1923, by Barber and Heseltine of Pontefract.

Reasons for Designation

Haworth War Memorial, erected 1923, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made during the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* a well-executed memorial, employing good-quality design, materials and craftsmanship.

Group value:

* the memorial benefits from a spatial group value with the Grade II listed Bridgehouse Mills, Bridge House and barn to the south-east.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever, with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England.  This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three-quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.  One such memorial was raised at Haworth as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 100 members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War, and are recorded on a scroll in a casket beneath the memorial.

The Haworth War Memorial Committee, under the chairmanship of Dr O H A Maggs, was established in January 1923 to oversee the raising of funds and the building of a memorial to the Fallen of Haworth. The first public meeting was held at the Drill Hall on 15 February and by 28 March, £167 had been raised by subscription and the site for the memorial at the junction of Station Road, Bridgehouse Lane and Brow Road had been chosen, as being a suitably prominent position. The memorial was designed and built by Barber and Heseltine of Pontefract and the enclosure by Mr R Barnett, Keighley Waterworks engineer; it was unveiled by Lieutenant Colonel CM Bateman DSO, TD, 6th Duke of Wellington's Regiment, at a dedication ceremony on 11 November 1923. The service and dedication was conducted by the Reverend T W Story, and the hymns were accompanied by a united choir of all of the churches in town and by the Haworth Public Prize Band. The Haworth Urban District Council agreed on 7 September 1925 to take responsibility for the memorial and its future maintenance and in October 1925, the accounts showed that the total cost was £557 3s 6d, of which, £549 0s 2d had been raised by subscription. A proposal in 2014 to move the memorial to Haworth Central Park was rejected. Photographic and map evidence shows that the crazy-paved podium on which the memorial stands and the associated low walls, railings, and stone piers to either side of the entrance, are secondary features.

Details

First World War memorial, 1923, by Barber and Heseltine of Pontefract.

MATERIALS: ashlar granite, bronze, and lead lettering

PLAN: square in plan.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of an obelisk with a pyramidal cap, tapering sides, with a splayed base raised on a plinth that is mounted on a pedestal, standing on a two-stepped base. A bronze sword is attached to the main (north-east) elevation of the obelisk, with a bronze wreath laid below. A frieze carved in relief, which encircles the obelisk, records the names of four First World War campaigns; it reads, moving clockwise from the front: FRANCE/ GALLIPOLI/ MESOPOTAMIA/ and FLANDERS. The pedestal has a cornice with restrained mouldings, a gently sloping upper surface, and angled corners. It has recessed corners occupied by capped and inverted scroll brackets with carved pendent garlands on their sides. The fascia bears a carved intaglio inscription that reads: OUR GLORIOUS DEAD; a raised dedication panel, with inset lettering occupies the front of the pedestal that reads: IN LOVING AND GRATEFUL/ REMEMBRANCE OF/ THE MEN OF HAWORTH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ THAT WE MIGHT LIVE/ 1914 – 1918. The names of the 100 men who died are recorded in inset metal lettering on the remaining three sides of the pedestal, which has a moulded plinth.

Sources

Websites
Haworth councillors reject plans to move the village cenotaph, accessed 8 July 2019 from https://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/11629547.haworth-councillors-reject-plans-to-move-the-village-cenotaph/
Imperial War Museum War Memorial Register - Haworth, accessed 2 July 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/28543
War Memorials Online - Haworth, accessed 2 July 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/95688
Other
“Haworth War Memorial”, Leeds Mercury, (12 November 1923), p3
Haworth UDC letter, OS-DS, 7 October 1925, Resolution to take over and maintain Haworth War Memorial
Haworth War Memorial Committee Records, Reference: BK43, Keighley Local Studies Library
Howarth Public War Memorial Honorary Treasurer's Cash Account, BK 43-2. 5 October 1925
The Keighley News, 17 November 1923, page 5 - In Memory of Haworth's Fallen Sons

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].