Golden Gates Lodge

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1465636
Date first listed:
23-Sep-2019
Statutory Address:
Pave Lane, Newport, TF10 9LQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Golden Gates Lodge
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1465636.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 19:24:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
Pave Lane, Newport, TF10 9LQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Telford and Wrekin (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chetwynd Aston and Woodcote
National Grid Reference:
SJ7559117111

Summary

Lodge to Lilleshall Hall, late C19.

Reasons for Designation

Golden Gates Lodge is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: Architectural interest:

* a picturesque Domestic Revival composition with carefully composed, characterful elevations incorporating a variety of building materials;

* a high-quality construction using good-quality materials and exhibiting expert craftsmanship;

* very little altered externally, and internally, the interesting plan form, with multiple entrances between rooms, remains legible, notwithstanding the blocked openings.

Historic interest:

* one of a number of lodges to Lilleshall Hall, illustrating the late C19 development and expansion of this important country house estate.

Group value:

* with the adjacent Grade II listed Golden Gates, marking the entrance to the Grade II registered landscape, and for its broader relationship with the other listed buildings of the large estate.

History

Golden Gates Lodge, formerly known as Newport Lodge, stands at the entrance to the main northern approach to the grounds of Lilleshall Hall. The hall (listed Grade II*) was built in 1829 by Sir Jeffrey Wyatville for Earl Gower, the first Duke of Sutherland. The lodge, now named for its association with the adjacent wrought iron gates (listed Grade II), is one of a group of six, which were added to the estate at the end of the C19 by the fourth Duke of Sutherland.

The fifth Duke sold the estate towards the end of the First World War. Sales particulars from 1917 include 12 lodges. The group of six to which Golden Gates Lodge belongs are described as containing a porch, entrance lobby, parlour, kitchen, scullery, larder, three bedrooms, coal store, tool house and pigsty, and either a WC or EC. All were built to a very similar design, though with subtle differences in detail, such as the treatment of the chimneystacks.

Details

Lodge to Lilleshall Hall, late C19.

MATERIALS: red brick laid in Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings, half timbering, and fishscale and plain clay tiled roofs.

PLAN: the building stands to the south of the ‘Golden Gates’, at the main northern entrance to the grounds of Lilleshall Hall. The lodge stands on the west side of the drive, and has an irregular footprint, with projecting bays and inset doorways.

EXTERIOR: a picturesque, Domestic Revival-style building of a single storey and attic. The ground floor is brick with a stone plinth, and has deep, rusticated quoins and sills. There are various projecting bay windows: rectangular, canted, and triangular, containing timber-framed two-light casement windows. A large porch on the east elevation is the main entrance; it is enclosed by a stone plinth topped by a timber balustrade, and moulded timber posts support a lean-to roof with a central cross pitch. The porch has a quarry tiled floor, and contains two four-panel front doors. A third entrance is recessed on the south elevation, and a fourth is on the rear of the building, now within an outshut. Moulded consoles support the jettied upper floor, which has decorative timberwork. The roof consists of intersecting pitches to create gables on each elevation; these have shaped bargeboards and tall finials. The ridges are lined with pierced cresting tiles, and there are two pairs of octagonal chimneystacks with stone dressings. To the west of the house a wall retains the higher ground of the garden; on the ground floor, a lean-to extension has been added between the elevation and the retaining wall.

INTERIOR: the internal plan form survives largely unaltered, and is distinctive for the routes of circulation on the ground floor, where doorways provide multiple entrances into each room. The front door into the lounge, and the doorway between the dining room and kitchen have been blocked. The dining room retains a cast iron chimneypiece. The stair is enclosed and the attic landing has a balustrade of stick balusters and a chamfered handrail. A small cast iron chimneypiece survives in one bedroom.

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (2006)
Other
Lilleshall House and Estate Particulars, 1917, ref SC00874 (SC00874A associated maps), Archive, Historic England, Swindon

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].