St Clement War Memorial, Truro

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1466271
Date first listed:
13-Sep-2019
Location Description:
On the east side of a crossroads where Tregolls Road, Union Hill (A390), the A39 and Belvedere meet.
Statutory Address:
Junction of Union Hill and Belvedere, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 1SB

Map

Ordnance survey map of St Clement War Memorial, Truro
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1466271.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 19:37:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of Union Hill and Belvedere, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 1SB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
On the east side of a crossroads where Tregolls Road, Union Hill (A390), the A39 and Belvedere meet.
District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Truro
National Grid Reference:
SW8389545763

Summary

A First World War memorial, built after 1919.

Reasons for Designation

St Clement War Memorial, Truro is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest: * for its design, a well-executed Celtic cross.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at St Clement parish, to the north of Truro, as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 14 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Nothing is known about the construction of the war memorial, but its similarity to the memorial at Cardinham would suggest that it is by the same maker and erected after 1919.

Details

A First World War memorial, built after 1919.

MATERIALS Granite, lead.

DESCRIPTION The memorial stands on the east side of a crossroads to the north of Truro city where Tregolls Road, Union Hill (A390), the A39 and Belvedere meet.

The memorial is a wheel-head Celtic cross with carved knotwork to the head and rectangular shaft. The head comprises ‘triqueta’ patterns within the arms and scroll decoration on the shaft on the west face. The other faces are plain. The cross stands on a cushion-shaped and tapering plinth on a flat base. The front (west) face bears the commemoration of the 14 men lost in the First World War under the inscription ST CLEMENT / TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF THOSE / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR / HONOUR & RIGHT / IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918. Below the list of names is the inscription BEING DEAD YET SPEAK. The lettering is in lead.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register – St Clements WW1 , accessed 07/08/2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/9202
War Memorials Online – St Clement WW1 Memorial , accessed 07/08/2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/143449/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].