Theddingworth War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1466407
Date first listed:
08-Oct-2019
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of All Saints, Main Street (A4304), Theddingworth, Leicestershire, LE17 6QZ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Theddingworth War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1466407.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 18:47:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of All Saints, Main Street (A4304), Theddingworth, Leicestershire, LE17 6QZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Harborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Theddingworth
National Grid Reference:
SP6675185733

Summary

A First World War memorial, erected in 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Theddingworth War Memorial, erected in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War.

Architectural interest:

* it is a well-detailed war memorial in the form of a wheel-head Celtic cross with interlaced decoration.

Group value:

* with the Church of All Saints (Grade I), Home Farmhouse (Grade II) and the Barns at Home Farm (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised within the churchyard of the Church of All Saints in Theddingworth. It cost around £200, funded by public subscription. The bronze inscription tablet was given by Major Sutherland Wilson. The memorial was unveiled on 21 July 1920 by Captain Hubert de Trafford (of the Dragoon Guards) and it honours 12 local men who died during the conflict.

Details

A First World War memorial, erected in 1920.

DESCRIPTION The memorial stands at the entrance to the churchyard of the Church of All Saints (Grade I) and is carved from granite. It comprises a square, single-stepped base, a trapezoidal plinth carved in the form of boulders and a short shaft which tapers in rectangular section to a Celtic wheel-head cross. Both the shaft and cross head have interlace ornamentation to the front (north-west) face. A bronze plaque fixed to the front face of the plinth bears the dedicatory inscription which reads:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN PERPETUAL MEMORY OF THE/ OFFICERS AND MEN FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register, accessed 12 August 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/37576
Memorial Cross, All Saints Churchyard - Theddingworth, accessed 12 August 2019 from http://www.leicestershirewarmemorials.co.uk/war/memorials/view/1131
War Memorials Online database, accessed 12 August 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/206980/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].