K6 Telephone Kiosk

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1466830
Date first listed:
10-Oct-2019
Statutory Address:
South-west of the Old Stores, Green Lane, Yarpole, Leominster, HR6 0BD

Map

Ordnance survey map of K6 Telephone Kiosk
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1466830.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 18:46:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
South-west of the Old Stores, Green Lane, Yarpole, Leominster, HR6 0BD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Croft and Yarpole
National Grid Reference:
SO4701064817

Summary

Telephone kiosk, Type K6, designed in 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, and made by various contractors.

Reasons for Designation

The K6 telephone kiosk in Yarpole is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as an iconic example of industrial design showing Sir Giles Gilbert Scott’s adaptation of neoclassical forms for a modern technological function.

Historic interest:

* the K6 telephone kiosk was designed to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935 by the eminent architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, further developing his successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924. Group value:

* for its contribution to the streetscape and proximity and visual relationship with a number of listed buildings.

History

The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of neoclassical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with a new kiosk type. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.

The Yarpole kiosk stands by the roadside at the south-east corner of St Leonard’s churchyard, adjacent to the Old Stores. The church is listed at Grade II*, and a detached tower is listed at Grade I. Opposite the kiosk to the south is the Grade II-listed Virginia Cottage.

Details

Telephone kiosk, Type K6, designed in 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, and made by various contractors.

MATERIALS: cast-iron, glass.

PLAN: the kiosk stands by the roadside at the south-east corner of the churchyard, adjacent to the Old Stores.

DESCRIPTION: the K6 is a standardised design of cast-iron painted red comprising a square kiosk with a shallow domed roof. The door and sides each have eight horizontal strips of glass with narrow margin lights. Above, in the top panels, are rectangular white display signs reading TELEPHONE with applied relief crowns over.

Sources

None.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].