Ufton Nervet War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1466998
Date first listed:
06-Jan-2020
Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Church Lane, Ufton Nervet, Berkshire, RG7 4HH

Map

Ordnance survey map of Ufton Nervet War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1466998.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 21:51:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Church Lane, Ufton Nervet, Berkshire, RG7 4HH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ufton Nervet
National Grid Reference:
SU6347267495

Summary

A First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

The Ufton Nervet War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a well-worked Latin cross with original memorial inscriptions.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed Church of St Peter, Ufton Nervet.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Prior to then memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, which was the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Ufton Nervet as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by eight members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. Following the Second World War a further name was added to the memorial to commemorate a serviceman who died in that conflict.

Details

First World War memorial cross, erected around 1920.

MATERIALS: stone with rough-cast concrete base.

DESCRIPTION: Ufton Nervet War Memorial is located in the south-east corner of the now redundant Church of St Peter. It takes the form of a Latin cross atop an octagonal plinth and three-stepped base. The three western faces of the plinth bear the carved inscription ‘TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND/ THE PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY/ OF OUR MEN WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR KING AND COUNTRY IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/ THEIR RELATIVES AND FELLOW PARISHIONERS/ DEDICATE THIS CROSS’. The names of eight First World War fallen are incised into the top step below. The middle step bears the inscription ‘SECOND GREAT WAR 1939 – 1945/ (NAME)/ RIP’. The lower step of the base is of rough-case concrete.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum, War Memorials Register: Ufton Nervet, accessed 23 September 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/9104
War Memorials Online: Ufton Nervet, accessed 23 September 2019 from http://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/139973
West Berkshire War Memorials: Ufton Nervet, accessed 23 September 2019 from http://westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk/memorial.php?link=WB143

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].