Langar-cum-Barnstone War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1467423
Date first listed:
15-Jan-2020
Location Description:
South east corner of churchyard, Church of St Andrew, Church Lane, Langar, Nottinghamshire, NG13 9HG

Map

Ordnance survey map of Langar-cum-Barnstone War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1467423.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Apr-2020 at 14:07:59.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
South east corner of churchyard, Church of St Andrew, Church Lane, Langar, Nottinghamshire, NG13 9HG
County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Langar cum Barnstone
National Grid Reference:
SK7214534645

Summary

First World War memorial in the churchyard of the parish church of St Andrew, Langar, unveiled in 1920.

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial situated in the churchyard of the parish church of St Andrew, Langar, dating to 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-crafted memorial illustrating the work of George M Silley.

Group Value:

* with the Grade I listed Church of St Andrew, Grade II listed Langar Hall, and the Grade II boundary walls and funerary monuments around the churchyard.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of 750,000 British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Langar-cum-Barnstone as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 16 parishioners who lost their lives in the First World War, with a later addition of three names commemorating those whose lives were lost in the Second World War.

The memorial was unveiled on 15 May 1920 and cost £75. It was designed by architect George M Silley whose work included the (demolished) church of St Paul in Harringay.

Details

A First World War Memorial, built 1920.

MATERIALS: Doulting stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the churchyard of the Grade I listed parish church of St Andrew, to the south of the chancel. The memorial has a base of three steps surmounted by a square plinth supporting a chamfered shaft and a cross with a circular nimbus.

The plinth is inscribed on its east and west faces. The main inscription on the east face reads: TO THE HONOURED / MEMORY OF THOSE WHO / GAVE THEIR LIVES IN / THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918. The names of 16 men who lost their lives are recorded, along with the quotation: “GLORY HONOUR AND PEACE”. On its west face a later inscription reads: ALSO IN MEMORY OF / THOSE WHO DIED / 1939-45 / (NAMES) / THEY LOVED NOT THEIR LIVES UNTO DEATH.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register: St Andrew’s Church, Langar, accessed 16 October 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27255

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].