Stanningfield War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1467951
Date first listed:
16-Jan-2020
Statutory Address:
Village Green, Hoggard’s Green, Stanningfield, Suffolk

Map

Ordnance survey map of Stanningfield War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1467951.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Apr-2020 at 04:25:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
Village Green, Hoggard’s Green, Stanningfield, Suffolk

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Bradfield Combust with Stanningfield
National Grid Reference:
TL8834256539

Summary

First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Stanningfield War Memorial, Hoggard’s Green is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* a simple, yet fitting commemorative structure in the form of a stone Latin cross.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial, a wooden Latin cross, was raised at Hoggard’s Green, north-east of Stanningfield as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 12 local men died during the First World War. It was unveiled in August 1920. It was subsequently replaced by a later memorial commemorating the First and Second World Wars. A further inscription was added in 2009 in memory of a soldier who lost his life in the conflict in Afghanistan.

A war memorial was also erected in the Church of St Nicholas at Stanningfield.

Details

First World War memorial with later additions for the Second World War.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent location at a road junction on the village green and it replaced the original memorial of 1920, which comprised an oak cross surrounded by iron railings. The current war memorial takes the form of a stone Latin cross set upon a plinth and a square concrete base. The main dedicatory inscription on the front (west) face of the plinth reads: IN EVER GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF/ THE STANNINGFIELD MEN/ WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ 1939 -1945/ (NAMES)/ RIP. The left return carries the inscription: OTHER CONFLICTS/ AFGHANISTAN/ (NAME).

The lower section of the plinth is inscribed: THIS MEMORIAL REPLACES THE WOODEN CROSS/ WHICH WAS ERECTED IN 1920 IN HONOUR OF THE/ 1914-1918 MEN OF THIS VILLAGE.

The memorial is enclosed by metal railings.

Sources

Websites
Stanningfield – WW1 and WW2 Stone Cross, Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register , accessed 26 November 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/5262
Stanningfield – WW1 Wooden Cross (Lost), War Memorials Register, accessed 29 November 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/22937

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].