Harkstead War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1468319
Date first listed:
16-Jan-2020
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, Lings Lane, Hawkstead, Suffolk, IP9 1DD

Map

Ordnance survey map of Harkstead War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1468319.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Mar-2020 at 12:52:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, Lings Lane, Hawkstead, Suffolk, IP9 1DD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Harkstead
National Grid Reference:
TM1940535246

Summary

First World War memorial, erected 1920 by EE Saunders of Ipswich, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Harkstead War Memorial, erected in 1920 by EE Saunders of Ipswich, with Second World War additions, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed Latin cross.

Group value:

* with the Church of St Mary (listed Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised in the Suffolk parish of Harkstead as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 12 local servicemen who lost their lives during the conflict. Designed and built by EE Saunders of Ipswich, it was unveiled on 9 June 1920 by Brigadier-General EH Rodwell and dedicated by Reverend HA Berner, Rector of Harkstead.

Following the Second World War the names of the four local servicemen who died during that conflict were added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, erected 1920 by EE Saunders of Ipswich, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in a prominent position in the south side of the churchyard of the Church of St Mary (listed Grade II*), on the west side of the footpath leading to the south porch. It takes the form of a Latin cross bearing a relief carving of a laurel wreath which rises from tall shaft which tapers in octagonal section from a battered octagonal plinth, the whole standing on a three-stepped base.

The First World War dedicatory inscription is in incised lettering on the south face of the plinth and the top step of the base and reads TO THE / GLORY OF GOD / AND IN / LOVING MEMORY / OF THE / BRAVE MEN / OF THIS PARISH / WHO GAVE THEIR / LIVES FOR THEIR / COUNTRY / IN THE / GREAT WAR / 1914-1918 / THEIR NAME LIVETH / FOR EVERMORE. The names of the 12 local servicemen who died are inscribed on the plinth's east and west faces.

A further inscription on the plinth's north face reads ALSO THOSE / WHO FELL IN THE / SECOND / WORLD WAR [Names].

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online - Harkstead War Memorial, accessed 4 December 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/241911
War Memorials Register, Imperial War Museum - Harkstead War Memorial, accessed 4 December 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4436

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].