Semer War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1470258
Date first listed:
04-Nov-2020
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of All Saints, Church Lane, Semer, Babergh, Suffolk, IP7 6JB

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1470258.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2021 at 23:59:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of All Saints, Church Lane, Semer, Babergh, Suffolk, IP7 6JB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Semer
National Grid Reference:
TL9992546787

Summary

A First World War Memorial unveiled in 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Semer War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * as a well-executed stone cross.

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.

Group value: * with the Church of All Saints (Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Semer as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 27 June 1920 by Sir Courtenay Warner, Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk, and dedicated by the Reverend C L B Elliott, rector of Tattingstone.

Details

A First World War Memorial unveiled in 1920.

MATERIALS: the memorial is carved from Clipsham stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands in the churchyard, approximately 15m east of the Church of All Saints (Grade II). It is approximately 2.5m high and is set within a small, rectangular enclosure defined by low stone edging. The memorial comprises an unadorned Celtic wheel cross set on a trapezoidal pedestal above a single-stepped square plinth. The Christogram, ‘IHS’, is incised at the centre of the east face of the cross.

The inscription engraved on the east face of the pedestal reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND TO THE MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF SEMER/ WHO LOYALLY AND FAITHFULLY/ LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914–1918/ +/ GRANT UNTO THEM O LORD ETERNAL REST/ LIVE THOU FOR ENGLAND/ WE FOR ENGLAND DIED. Below, the inscription on the east face of the plinth reads: BE THOU FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH/ AND I WILL GIVE THEE THE CROWN OF LIFE.

The inscription on the west face reads: OH THE BEAUTY O THE GLADNESS/ OF THAT RESURRECTION DAY/ WHICH SHALL NOT THROUGH ENDLESS AGES/ PASS AWAY/ TO THAT BRIGHTEST OF ALL MEETINGS/ BRING US JESUS CHRIST AT LAST/ BY THE CROSS THROUGH DEATH AND JUDGEMENT/ HOLDING FAST.

The names and regiments of the five fallen are given on the north and south faces of the pedestal.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorial Register, accessed 25 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4476
Other
‘Semer Memorial Unveiled’, Suffolk and Essex Free Press, (30 June 1920)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].